Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Internet no longer able to use Wireless Connection

Status
Not open for further replies.

koppelsteel

Technical User
Mar 1, 2001
US
I have Windows XP Home Edition with a Linksys wireless network card (WPC11 ver 3) installed. The router is a BEFW11S4 ver 2. The only problem that I had with it before today was when I used a dial-up setting to connect to my jobsite. I always had to reboot to access the wireless network again.

Today I played with the Network Wizard, removed (or so I thought) everything that it created. But now the internet will not access my Wireless Network at all. When I open my Internet Option/Connections, all I see are my dial-up setting which cannot be used to access the internet.

I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling the wireless network, but had no success.

I would appreciate any help any could give me. 1.5 hours on the phone with Linksys was no help.

when that happens to me....i have to put my network back in....and reboot then it fires right up Tamra Graver --CNA
It is my job to comfort the disturbed
and disturb the comfortable..........

I would bet that both your problems are related to routing.

The dialup network connection has a setting to 'use default gateway on remote network'. Not sure exactly where it is at on XP, but it is somewhere in the dialup properties. This setting forces all network traffic across the dialup, so you aren't able to access anything else. Unchecking the box should allow using both the dialup connection and the internet at the same time.

I would bet that koppelsteel's problem is related, basically when the connection was removed, the network was left in this state and there is no default route. Again, not sure of the exact settings on XP as I don't have one in front of me right now, but in the LAN properties there should be a setting for routes. You need to add the address of your local router there.

What happens if you open a command window and type 'ping yahoo.com'? Also, try 'ping 66.218.71.198' (that's one of yahoo's servers. If you need to report back, report the specific error that you receive.

When I ping the Yahoo address, I Destination Host Unreachable.

I have Uninstalled and Reinstalled (followed by rebooting) 3 times and the problem still exists. Even when I deleted my dial-up connections, it still didn't work.

I have the same card on a 98 machine (yes, I swapped them out to be sure that they both worked okay) and it works fine. 98 does have a setting on dial-up to not use this connection for the internet but I cannot find a similar setting on XP. However, when it didn't work after removing the dial-up settings, I don't think that they are the problem.

The problem really began when I played with the Networking Wizard. I apparently set something but I do not know what.

i have the same setup and what i had to do was download the new firmware and drivers for the linksys card and reinstall it.

I managed to get around this problem by using XP System Restore to restore my operating system to the day before I had the problem. I still lose internet access to my wireless netork at times, but rebooting restores it.

I suspect that this is just some quirk (i.e. bug) in Windows XP.

Again, looks like you have lost your default route, and I'm not sure how to add it back with XP, other than it is somewhere in the LAN properties.

As a workaround, you could open a command window and type:
ROUTE ADD 0.0.0.0 MASK 0.0.0.0 xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx -P
and press enter. Substitute the address of your router for the xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx. Try the ping again and see what happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back