Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Internet Mail Service

Status
Not open for further replies.

WATKINS

IS-IT--Management
Jun 23, 2002
US
I am having problems using the Internet Mail Service. For some reason, only Administrators can login to our exchange server. I have looked at all the property pages for the Internet Mail Service and have found nothing. I tryed messing with the Security tab and still no luck. I can log in but regular users cannot. Basically here is the error message in the event log (i changed the username and Domain name in this example for security purposes):

Logon Failure:
Reason: The user has not be granted the requested
logon type at this machine
User Name: Test
Domain: MYDOMAIN.COM
Logon Type: 2
Logon Process: IIS
Authentication Package: MICROSOFT_AUTHENTICATION_PACKAGE_V1_0
Workstation Name: MYDOMAIN.COM

With Exchange 5.5, only admin's can log into the server. Why would you want others to log into your Exchange server?? (Letting non-techie's log into your Exchange can only make matter much worse - that's why Microsoft made it so Admin's can log in.)

Am I mis-reading your question? Are you talking about user's can't check their email?? If so, that's a whole different ball game...

I am refering to the Internet Mail Service component of Exchange Server, it allows users to use a webmail like interface to check and send email.

have you made any changes to your DCs recently. It looks like authentication problems. Also is the EVERYONE in "access this computer from network" rights.

Dude, you're speaking of OWA (Outlook Web Access.) Correct?

The reason most people can't log on to your OWA is probably because each user nees to type the domain name in FIRST before their logon name and password. Like this: Domain/Logon (make sure you use the "/" in the logon.)

OWA - general problem is NT log on locally rights, not ssay's "access this computer from the network".

Watkins

If you want users to be able use OWA then they have to have log on locally rights. You do this in the under usrmgr under policies then users rights. choose option log on locally in the drop down box and then add that user you want with that right.

right now, go to the microsoft web site and search for security vunerabilites related to OWA, there are too many to consider OWA a viable tool for Exchange.

Actually, OWA is quite secure. (Especially if you use strong passwords and then password protect the initial OWA log-on page using .ASP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back