Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Internet Mail Service wont start. 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

martin1234321

IS-IT--Management
Jul 31, 2003
GB
For some reason that I cannot find the Internet Mail Service has suddenly stopped. When I try to restart it manually it responds that it could not start but did not return an error. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Does the Event Log Viewer reveal anything?

How big is your information store? Is it under 16BG?

Event viewer says "The server did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion"
Re: Information store size. Can you help with locating details? Basically I am a Network Engineer who catches a few problems like this from time to time.

If you look for a folder named "MDBDATA" it should contain a PRIV and a PUB file. How big is this folder?

Should have remembered this from a previous job.
Total size MDBDATA 2.83gb
PRIV.EDB 2,952,200KB
PUB.EDB 18,440 KB
Is this a help?

Now started getting the following message in the event log. 'The Internet Mail Servive administrator account is no longer valid. The Internet Mail Service will not start until you recreate the administrator account or configure the Internet Mail Service to use another administrator account' I have tried resetting the administrator account and password but this does not seem to do it.

Okay, now that you have reset the administrator account and password have you reset the IMS service details to ensure they are the same?

Thanks very much for your help Grenage. It has just restarted. I have been through all the services and made sure they are all reset and running. Very much appreciate your assistance.
Waiting for this company to sign a support contract for their Network which will include replacing their old 5.5 with a new server and Exchange 2003. At least then we get to install it and know what the set-up is.
Again many thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back