Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Internet Locking Desktop Software Recommendation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Candidog

MIS
Jun 26, 2003
US
I'm an administrator of a network that host 45 computers. I would like to lock down certain users on what website(s)a user or a group users can visit. Maybe deny all sites except anything on a whitelist? Some workstations will be able to visit any sites? Orginally I purchased ISA Server 2004 but its such an overkill for what I want it to do? I'm looking for somthing that is simple to use and to configure? I guess a proxy server of some sort I would need?

BTW, Does Windows 2003 Server have anything built in that lets me do this maybe via a Group Policy?

Any suggestions or recommendations would be helpful.

Greg

We are just evaluating this and have been impressed so far, one bonus is that it doesn't require a proxy.

It supports black and whitelists and it updates it's list of websites daily, you can also ban applications and screenshot offensive violations. It can also display your acceptable use policy when users logon and they have to accept before they get to work.

You can arrange for a free trial.

A poor man's proxy might work. You can use a policy that sets the proxy in internet options to point back to 127.0.0.1. Then add your approved websites to the bypass list.

Actually I went with a product called Surf Control. It does exactly what I want it to do!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back