Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

internet issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

DKL01

Programmer
Sep 14, 2000
US
Hello All -

I don't know what happened to my PC. For last 2 days it is connecting to internet at regular speed (44.4 - 55 kbps) via dial-up connection. But the pages are loading very very slow. I'm not sure whether it is problem with my PC, Modem, Telephone line or ISP.

I thought it could be problem with ISP. But I'm having same problem with AT&T as well as Netzero ISP.

This is how connection looked while typing this message.

Speed 44.4 kbps
Sent : 673,000
Received : 145,586

I really appreciate any suggestions to fix this issue.

Thanks much.

what type of modem do you have. let me know and i will try to get you an init string that will get you a higher transfer rate.

Some people make things happen, some people watch things happen, while others wonder what happened.

Looks to me like you have some spyware eating up your bandwidth. The stats you posted show you sending 5 times as much data as you received, and unless you were uploading files at the time this is a clear sign of 'something' sending more than the usual info.

Try running SpySweeper or (insert anti-spyware of your choice).

A few things can cause that, worms as well as spyware. Id agree with lawnboy on running spysweeper full system scan and I also reccomend running ewido anti malware as well. Do a full system scan with both in safe mode.

There is a point in wisdom and knowledge that when you reach it, you exceed what is considered possible - Jason Schoon

Thank you very much for your response. I think you guys are absolutely right. The problem stated when I downloaded and installed some s/w from net. That s/w was to install Dora the explorer images on my desktop as my son is big fan of Dora.

I ran Spy Hunter and McAFee but did not find anything. As you suggested I will try system scan in Safe mode.

Word on caution when downloading these free screensavers and some free backgrounds from unkown sites. Alot of these come bundled with spyware and adware which is why they are "free". Anyways they are free screensavers and backgrounds out there that do not have spyware and addware in them just have to be careful and pay attention to where you look. Also a major piece of advice when downloading things, scan everything you download before you open. As for mcafee im not to fond of but that is my personal opinion not fact.

There is a point in wisdom and knowledge that when you reach it, you exceed what is considered possible - Jason Schoon

I highly recommend SpySweeper. I don't want to start a flame war over which is the best anti-spyware package, but I've had the best success with it. SS has a free 30-day trial.

Plus it never hurts to scan with different programs, what one misses another may catch. None of them are perfect.

I've used PestPatrol with a lot of success, and it has a very quick scan as well.

For more advanced work though, definitely use a combination of scanners in safe mode. Spybot is a good freebie. Post any problems (HiJack This! logs) in the Virus/Spyware forum760.

~cdogg
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." - Albert Einstein
[tab][navy]For general rules and guidelines to get better answers, click here:[/navy] faq219-2884

SORRY I had misread your post, yes it sounds like spyware.

thanks guys for not beating me up for that one! :)

Some people make things happen, some people watch things happen, while others wonder what happened.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back