Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Internet Gateway?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Programmer
Jan 17, 2002
US
What is this? It just started showing up in my Network Connections window above the LAN connections. I would assume that this ia ICS type connectio, although I didn't ask for it to be turned on. Also, it's speed says 1.5 mb! The LAN conections work just fine at 100MB.

Could this have been turned on just by joining a domain like I did(and reverted) at a Clients yesterday? The other strange thing is that it saus the connection has been up for 38 days, but the laptop is only 4 weeks old. Says it's still in use, so I can't disconnect it.

Thanks for any ideas on this one.

Rich

The Internet Connection icon represents your Gateway device to the internet, typicly a router.

If the router is uPnP capable; and if your installation of XP loaded the SSDP Discovery Service, the uPnP service, and your firewall permits traffic on port 1900 TCP, the Internet Gateway connection is shown in Network Properties.

To remove it: Control Panel, Add/Remove Programs, Windows Components, Network services, and uncheck the Discovery Client service and uPnP service.

Thank you. When I get home and on the LAN I'll check this out. Of course it does not appear when I am in a coffee house and connected wirelessly.

Cheers
Rich

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back