Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Internet fails for a short time, comes back on, solutions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

whosquicklier

Technical User
Jul 20, 2003
I have a Dell Inspiron 600m laptop with a built-in mini pci card (also Dell, 802.11g). It communicates fine with the router (D-Link Xtreme G Model DI-624) almost all of the time. However, occasionally, the internet completely fails. My AIM and ICQ cannot connect, neither can my IRC. I cannot browse web pages either.

The thing that puzzles me is that I cannot connect to a server on my LAN (3 computers, the server is connected via ethernet to the router) when this problem occurs. These lapses last for about 1-5 minutes and happen without fail at least once per day, then the internet comes right back. The wireless connection reads fine during these lapses. I tried to ping during one of these lapses and it didn't work at all. I have no proxy, but the router has a hardware firewall, if that has any relevance. Also, I am on a cable connection. Any ideas anyone?

Sounds like a definite funny. I would start at the basics change your cables, can you just use your Wireless link if so does the issue still occur?

My first guess would be dodgy NW card as it sound like you cannot get anything to broadcast fromit during these blackouts.

When it happens can youu PING:
Your Server - NO
The 3 PC's -
Your Router -
Your ISP DNS Server -
The Internet -

If the answer is no then use tracert and tell us where the packets get to.

Start at the basics and work our way up,

Iain

Alright I will try that when it goes offline again. Gotta wait for another lapse...

And to try to answer one of those questions, I cannot browse the shared network folders of either of the 2 PC's while these lapses occur, though I have never tried pinging them. I did try pinging yahoo and google during these lapses and all of them timed out.

I might need to clarify that the server pc is one of the 3 pc's in my LAN.

Finally, the indicator in my system tray for the wireless connection (the 2 computer lookin things) leads me to believe the router is not responding during these lapses. The bottom left pc lights up a few times during the lapse and the top right one does not (assuming the bottom left is me and the top right is the router). I am on the most current firmware for my router.

Another wee question is this only occuring on this PC or on all of them?

If its only this one then it is specific to this PC (hmmm did I really just say THAT, must need another cup of tea!)

If it affects all of them, then there is something seriously wrong with either your Network setup, your router or your internet.

Next time you have a lapse try pinging from your other machines too.

Iain

OK. Thanks for the response. I will be sure to try out browsing during one of these lapses. I can confirm one of them by checking the status of an AIM screen name after a lapse to see how long it says they have been online. The other I will have to try browsing and pinging.

Thanks again!

It has been good for the past few days. When I submit this, who knows what problems will happen...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back