Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Internet Explorer using wrong program to play media link

Status
Not open for further replies.

may1hem

Programmer
Jul 28, 2002
GB
Does anyone know how to change the programs that Internet Explorer uses to play media files on the Internet?

I know that the default e-mail program can be changed from TOOLS --> INTERNET OPTIONS, but it won't let me set which program is used to play .RM, .RAM, .MP3, etc.

I tried changing the file associations in Windows Explorer's Folder Options --> File Types. This worked for .RM and .MP3 files, but it won't work for .RAM files. Windows Explorer tells me that .RAM files will be opened with the program that I selected, and when I double-click a .RAM file on my hard drive it does correctly open in my choice of player, but when I click on a .RAM file on the Internet it tries to open the file in Real Player.

Does anyone know to change this? Is this Internet Explorer's fault? Do I need to fiddle with it's own set of file associations in the Registry? Exactly what do I need to do? Any ideas?

Thanks, [wink]

May

May,

In Real-Player, go to the Options and deselect the option to run *.RAM files as the default (most likely unchecking a box; I'm not sure exactly within the program because I haven't used it in awhile). When this happens, it will go to the next available application to run that file type. Make sure that in the program that you wish IE to run *.RAM files - it has that file type is the default program to run those files.

1. My copy of RealPlayer has expired, & won't let me open it.

2. My alternative player correctly plays .RM files and all the other file types. The problem only occurs with .RAM files that are clicked in Internet Explorer. The problem does not occur with .RAM files that are opened from the hard disk, neither does it occur with .RM files or any other RealPlayer file type that are clicked in Internet explorer.

Do you think I should remove RealPlayer altogether? I think my alternative player uses some of RealPlayer's program files.

Any ideas?

May

To change Media bar settings (IE6 Help File)

In Internet Explorer, click Media on the toolbar to open the Media bar.

Click Media Options, point to Settings, and then click the settings you want to turn on or off. A check mark next to a setting indicates that the setting is turned on.

Click these To do this......

Play web media in the bar. Automatically play digital media files opened from Internet Explorer in the Media Bar instead of the default player.

Ask for preferred types. Be prompted when you try to open a media file from the Web by being asked if you want to open that file in the Media bar. When you open a file in the Media bar, the file type for the file is saved. If the Remember my preference check box is selected, when you open a file with that file type again, it will be opened in the Media bar.

Reset preferred types. Clear the list of file types that automatically open in the Media bar.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back