Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Internet Explorer Takes forever to open

Status
Not open for further replies.

downtime

IS-IT--Management
May 16, 2002
US
I am currently using Internet Explorer 6.0.28 on a XP HomeEdition computer. When I start the program it takes forever to open. Any suggestions?

Do you have the AVG Outlook Express plugin, enabled ?
Don't tick , Use Outlook Express 5 Plug In . Slows it down too much .
Try disabling it - my OE performance improved greatly once the plugin was removed.
Go to AVG Control Centre, Email Scanner tab to uncheck the plugin.

Internet Explorer/Outlook Express 6 tweak guide

Performance Issues .

In addition to the above, I've found that this one setting alone can also cause some slowness:

1) Tools -> Internet Options
2) Connections tab
3) LAN Settings
4) Uncheck "Automatically Detect Settings"

~cdogg

"The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."
- A. Einstein

if this is the problem i believe it is, none of what you guys have suggested will help. the problem is with IE opening like the links about OE that jmat posted. i've had this problem before and i've also had it with OE. the OE fix will indeed fix the OE problem. but what about IE (not the webpage) not opening for about 30 seconds? we have had a couple of other people post this same problem but no fix has come. i've been working on it off and on because i ended up format/restore. i (like everyone and thier momma) go to "microsoft for partners" and they don't even know. has anyone besides us few that have seen the problem found a fix? the problem is with XP and IE 6. jmatt's OE posts were the closest i've found.

"Jack of all trades. Master of none."
[americanflag]

I've been fighting with this problem, but I'm only seeing about a nine second wait for IE 6 (Win XP) to open--still a total pain though. I have a vanilla XP system on exactly the same computer (by vanilla, I mean no apps loaded, few utilities running, and no virus protection), and it takes three seconds to load. Watching TaskManager, the iexplore.exe process never makes it to the highest CPU percentage used on the loaded machine. On the vanilla machine, iexplore.exe jumps to the top of the list grabbing first 55% of the CPU and dropping to 43% before going to 00%. On the loaded machine, iexplore.exe never gets over 50% of CPU time. I have an app called McShield. That seems to be hogging CPU time. Exiting the app now... Viola, IE is now loading in three seconds. I guess there's a solution. Run TaskManager and see if there's an app getting in the way of IE loading...

Frank

I tried that, but theres no program getting in the way.. however iexplore.exe loads again.. so I end up having two of them. The only thing is you cant uninstall 6.0 from xp and reinstall. theres not even a repair option..

cheryl

Give it a good clean out & speed up your Internet browsing .
1CLEANUP..........

You can protect your comp from Spyfiles by using these 3 programs together .
What does SpyBot-Search & Destroy?
SpywareBlaster doesn't scan and clean for spyware - it prevents it from ever being installed.
SpywareGuard provides a real-time protection solution against spyware that is a great addition
to SpywareBlaster's protection method.

--------------------------------------------

Repair IE6

--------------------------------------------------

How to Uninstall IE6

--------------------------------------------------------

IEradicator
Removes all versions of Internet Explorer from all versions of Windows 9x in 8 different languages!
IEradicator is still FREEWARE!

---------------------------------------------------------

Programs Run Slower After You Install Windows XP SP-1
The information in this article applies to:
Microsoft Windows XP Professional SP1
Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition SP1

Fixes speed problems in XPsp1 ( boot & program loading )

Patch slows down XP
MS03-013: Buffer Overrun in Windows Kernel Message Handling Could Lead to Elevated Privileges
Experts warn not to apply Microsoft patch
Microsoft has pulled the 811493 security patch. PC World Article.

A friend of mine was experiencing the same problem. He unchecked the JAVA SUN box in tools/internet options/advanced and everything speeded back up again. Don't know if it's required to run anything else, but he hasn't had any trouble since.

Of course, there is no checking for newer versions of stored pages ...

i talked to the friend that was haveing this problem. he was doing some playing around and found that when installing the XP updates the problem would appear. after ONLY installing SP1 it would be OK. again this is for when IE will take about 20 seconds to open and NOT the webpage. there werenever any browsing problems.

"Jack of all trades. Master of none."
[americanflag]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back