Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Internet Explorer Startup Error

Status
Not open for further replies.

123flood

Technical User
Jun 22, 2001
US
Has anyone ever had the problem where before Internet will load a small box with no errors but with a large Red Cross appears, with an OK button underneath it? IE (5.01) will not load unless these boxes are cleared and they appear twice for each fresh window of IE5.

I have never seen this specific problem, but I would expect it to be because a program error trapping routine catches an error in the program or external library, but cannot assign an error message to it. This would normally be because the error is due to corrupted code.

So, what all that means is you most likely have a corrupted browser, tcp/ip or dialup networking installation. You could try running IE setup from Add/Remove programs and tell it to fix the installation.

I have reinstalled IE twice and it resolves the problem for about 1 day. I can't repair it though as one of the DLLs is not the right version (COOL.dll) although I have had this copied over to me from another colleague to no effect.

I know that recently when I reinstalled the error reoccured after problems with flash/shockwave installation, though I can't see how to restore or remove them. Can I find a log for loading errors somewhere?

Not that I'm aware of, but there is a Fix IE Log.txt in c:\Windows in my installation which gives version numbers. I have IE5.5 and Cool.dll is Product Version 4.40.500 size 364K. If that helps.

Macromedia support is built in, but you can install the latest player versions from the Macromedia website. Might be worth a try!

I have reinstalled Dial-Up-Networking and TCP/IP (which are bound through one of our in-house applications) and this has not been successful.

I have now got the latest version of Macromedia available but this hasn't made any noticeable difference.

I have found that Fix IE Log.txt file and there are a load of files that failed version check and did not exist - including the Cool.dll (which is still version 3). What should I do with that information? Does this logfile note files in chronological loading order?

No, as far as I know, it is in the order that the files are unpacked. From what you say, it looks like the dll's are not being registered properly, could be a number of reasons. It may be time to get heavy and uninstall IE, yes I know you can't, so try IEradicator which claims to uninstall all versions. Now I haven't personally used this, but if it works you should be able to clean install IE afterwards.

I think we've got it! I completely removed IE from my workspace and it failed to load IE4 (which is a good thing as it allowed 5.5 to be loaded instead).

There was always a delay in getting the error once a new version or change in IE had been effected which is another anomaly - but I have brought up sufficient screens by now to have generated errors and haven't got any so I declare this problem fixed!

Thank you very much - I think the IEradicator helped quite a lot too as well as all your general advise.

Argh!!! Sorry Paul but this isn't sorted. I HAVE given up for now.

Have reinstalled TCP/IP and firewall, have completely removed IE5.01 and installed IE5.5. Have upgraded Macromedia and don't know what else to do.

Hey ho, oh well!

I think this suggests that IE may not be at fault, about the only think I can think of doing is wiping the hard disk and reinstalling Windows and IE. Not much fun, but if there is a duff file, reinstalling Windows over the top may not work. I guess it might be worth a try, but whatever the problem is could stop the reinstall, so make sure you back up everything if you try it.

I suppose you could remove IE and try using another browser to see if the problem replicates, if it does then it's not IE.

Best of luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back