Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Internet Explorer Search Error

Status
Not open for further replies.

melmitts

Programmer
Jun 18, 1999
US
For the past few days if I search on Bing or Google, Internet explorer displays the normal page of search hits. Then when I click on any of the links I get "This page can't be displayed" error. Sometimes I can click page 'refresh' icon then the page will load but most of the time my only option is the back button. Everything works as it is supposed to if I try Firefox or Opera just not Internet Explorer. Any guesses?
Mel

Clear the browser cache.

Chris.

Indifference will be the downfall of mankind, but who cares?
Time flies like an arrow, however, fruit flies like a banana.
Webmaster Forum

Thanks for the input, unfortunately it didn't help the situation. The problem persists...

Later...
Mel

What version of IE? What OS? What steps did you do to clear the IE cache? What other troubleshooting steps have you tired?

Windows 7 Pro x64 with Internet Explorer 11.

I Tried a couple of 3rd party programs based on previous suggestions.
Then I tried Internet Explorer-->Safety-->Delete browsing history... (All options checked).
I also tried Internet Explorer-->Internet Options-->Advanced-->Reset Internet Explorer settings.

Problem is still there.

Is it somehow defaulting to https when it is supposed to be using http? Could be some change in security settings caused by an update.

The problem is on my desktop, my notebook works fine. I looked at the security settings on both and didn't see anything obvious. After reading everything I could find on the Microsoft website, my next options seem to be uninstalling and then installing IE or changing to a different browser.

I feel that the general consensus would be to choose the latter option.

Chris.

Webmaster Forum

The only other things I can think of are, see if the problem happens in No Add-Ons mode (click Start, and in the search box type "Internet" ... you should see a shortcut for "Internet Explorer (No Add-Ons)"). And also check proxy settings (Tools, Internet Options, Connections tab, LAN Settings button).

I've seen some virus/malware programs cause this, where they actually alter the links in bing/google search results.

Try scanning your system with both anti-virus and anti-malware.

Run ADW Cleaner and reboot if asked
Then run Junk Removal Tool

If that doesn't fix your IE problem, then you've got problems.

"Living tomorrow is everyone's sorrow.
Modern man's daydreams have turned into nightmares.

All ready tried...
Kaspersky Internet Security
Malwarebytes Anti-Malware
Tweaking.com Windows Repair (Internet Explorer)
CCleaner
ADW Cleaner
Junk Removal Tool
and
2-3 different browser cleaner tools.

Microsoft website says to uninstall and reinstall Internet Explorer but you really can't do that. What you get is Microsoft's version of Internet Explorer uninstall which really seems more like 'hiding' than uninstalling.

Decision for now... Install and use Firefox for now while I look as tome of the other browsers out there. I was going to try Opera until I ran into the new user interface. Wow! Sure not the old Opera 12.x... :)

Thanks to all who attempted to help.
Mel

>Microsoft website says to uninstall and reinstall Internet Explorer but you really can't do that. What you get is Microsoft's version of Internet Explorer uninstall which really seems more like 'hiding' than uninstalling.

No, it would uninstall IE 11, but then revert back to the previous version you had, probably 10. Then you could reinstall 11.

I see you're on top of things. But as mentioned by others, you could uninstall IE11, reboot, run a temp file cleaner and registry cleaner (CCleaner), reboot and then reinstall IE11. That would be my LAST troubleshooting steps. And when you reinstall, kill off all non-essential processes with Process Explorer and/or shutting down services down to a bare minimum. I would turn off the A-V as well. These are all just voodoo recommendations, but it just might work.

Install and use Firefox
That was my PERMANENT fix for all internet explorer related problems about 4 years ago.

"Living tomorrow is everyone's sorrow.
Modern man's daydreams have turned into nightmares.

I was going to try Opera until I ran into the new user interface. Wow! Sure not the old Opera 12.x... :)

I use Opera as my default, and while the 'new' look was a bit of a culture shock at first, it's quite easy to get to grips with and use.

Chris.

Webmaster Forum

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back