Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Internet explorer search bar 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

ISLukin

IS-IT--Management
Dec 28, 2005
US
I have been having trouble with some of my employees using the the internet for non-work related browsing, thus infecting pcs with spyware and viruses. We recently began locking these pc's down VIA gpedit and login scripts. Ran into a snag, we can tottaly lock them down, take away address bar, buttons, everything, BUT you can still click on view \ explorer bar \ search and get out to whatever you want (or ctrl +e). There is no policy to turn off this behavior, any suggestions?

thank you for the reply. the thing is, i dont want to tottaly disallow internet access on these machines. there are certain websites that they must be able to get to.

As the first link mentions, is it possible to change the Search to Classic Search to prevent Internet access via the Search Engine?

Hi,
The usual way this is handled is by routing all external internet traffic through a Proxy Server and using it to block/allow sites according to business policies..

[profile]

To Paraphrase:"The Help you get is proportional to the Help you give.."

Yes, obviously we have a proxy server in place on corporate side, and it is handled well. What we want, is to be able to dissallow access on a per machine basis, ie we have certain machines that are generic accounts which are used by several users throughout the day. everything in ie is now locked down and secure except for the CTRL+E search window, just need to know how to get rid of it. Thank you all for your valuble help. It is much appreciated!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back