Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Internet Explorer problem opening links after searching using google

Status
Not open for further replies.

fj62alex

MIS
Jul 24, 2006
US
Hi,

I am running Win XP Pro SP3 with IE8. For some reason and and I just cann't figure out why when I am searching for something in google, I either cannot open the link or it takes forever to open it? Is anyone experienced anything like it??

Thanks,
Alex

Did this happen after IE8 was installed?

Actualy not. I had the same issue with IE7. I decided to install IE8, thinking that it will resolve it, but it didn't.

What virus software are you running and firewall?

I am not running any virus protection software and Windows firewall is set to "ON".

Hi,
There is a rootkit malware out there that affects search sites like Google - Check the link you are sent to ( in the URL) and compare it to the link you actually chose...If different, you may have the nasty overclick.cn - see here for details:

and

BTW, never run a computer on the internet or a network without a good anti-virus/anti-spyware program, regularly updated. ( It would not prevent overclick, if you have it, but will prevent most threats - and there are threats out there!)

[profile]

To Paraphrase:"The Help you get is proportional to the Help you give.."

I've downloaded Malwarebytes and it fixed the problem.

Thanks,
Alex

I agree that I do have to have a good anti-virus/anti-spyware program. I tried McAfee and just couldn't stand it. If you have some suggestions, would be great.

Thanks,
Alex

Symantec is very good but if you want free AVG works great as well. I currently use Symantec but do to budget restraints I am starting to switch to AVG on the desktops and keeping the TS Servers on Symantec.

Google these (free) Anti Virus software programs, AVG, Avast, and Avira. See which one you like, if any. I am a AVG (free) user and have been for years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back