Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Internet Explorer Missing Images "x" 8

Status
Not open for further replies.

sunwindandsea

Programmer
Dec 20, 2001
US
Some of my workstations have a problem displaying images in Internet Explorer 6.0 SP1. A red "x" is displayed in the upper right hand corner of the image in a small box with a white backgroud. I have updated to the lastest Service Pack and security patches from MS and the problem perist on the five workstations.

Five have the problem and the other 20 do not. The same Norton Client Security policy is used for all workstations.

The OS on all systems is Windows XP Pro, 1.8 -2.4 GHz, 512 MB, lots od HHD space remaining on each system.

Thanks for your suggestions.

Ed

I had the same IE illness:
"Some of images were missing from the page"

The more detailed symptoms were:

- I'm using IE 6.0 on XP Prof

- When I clicked "Show picture" on a missing image it appeared

- Refreshing the page sometimes solved the problem somtimes didn't

- Not always the same images were missing

- Generally this behavior appeared with small-sized images like "spacer.gif". Size means file size and not image dimension.

- Tipicaly appeared with very fast servers or localhost.

- It was somehow affected by using VPN. (Don't exactly know how, but it seemed worse when using the VPN)

- I have tried all the tips posted before (including reinstalling IE)

The story and the solution:

Once, I have changed the registry to allow more that 2 simultanous connections to the same server.
It can be set using these two registry entries:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\MaxConnectionsPerServer
and
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\MaxConnectionsPer1_0Server
I have set those to 10. The setting worked. I could really start 10 downloads the same time from IE, but...

Today I realized that I payed a high price for those simultanous downloads. This caused the the red x-es for me.
And took a whole day to find the solution.

I think this is an IE bug with fast servers, small files and higher number of download connections.

So give it a try and set the value of these reg. entries back to 1 or 2:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\MaxConnectionsPerServer
and
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\MaxConnectionsPer1_0Server

If you didn't touch these settings and still have the mysterious red-x problem: I wish you good luck!

I tried everything else on this thread and my X's still remain in some websites and other websites cannot display the pages at all. I want to try to use the registry thing but i have no idea how to access the registry or what it is. please help me, thanks.

To Go the registry, go to Start, click Run, type "regedit" (w.o. the quotes) and press enter (or click OK).
The registry has a tree-structure like any filesystem.
To delete a value just select it and press the Del-button.
To edit a value rightclick and choose "Change".

Be sure not to change the wrong things, because this could screw up your system.

Peace,

Yellow

no234nek[\b]
More importantly, do a quick search and learn how to back up your registry before you do in and start hacking, especially if you're not familiar with the process.

"'Tis an ill wind that blows no minds." - Malaclypse the Younger

thanks anyway everyone, but i fixed the problem by disabling norton internet security setings.

I have the same red-x on all my gifs. What I discovered was that my Ad-Subtract software has something to do with it because I can only view the gifs when Ad-Subtract is active, that is, when it's in the "filtering" mode. I will continue to experiment and see why this is happening.

Go to Mozilla.org
Download Mozilla
Install Mozilla

go to mozdev.org
install multizilla

Trust me, it's an awesome browser. It has none of the things I hated about Netscrap. And I'm a big fan of Microsoft too.

As for the Red X. There is one sure way to fix it, however it's on the server side. If the webpage preloads the images (using Javascript) then the Red Xs never show up.

Of course this porbably won't help unless it's one page that you have access to that's bothing you.

Let's not make this any harder than it has to be. Preload the image and let it be done.

Insert the following code into your HEAD tag. Be sure to use the correct name and path for your image!

<SCRIPT LANGUAGE = JAVASCRIPT>
if (document.images)
{
img1 = new Image();
img2 = new Image();
img1.src = "imageName1.gif";
img2.src = "imageName2.gif"
}
</SCRIPT>

Source:

I have IE6, XP, Office 2003, NortonAV, and did have the free Zone Alarm firewall. After trying all of the suggestions here and elsewhere... I realized that it was only Java Applets that weren't working. Look at "view source" by right-clicking on the website in question and look for "applet code". I just installed the free Java download and now everything works fine. But WHY did it stop working in the first place? I'll reinstall Zone Alarm firewall and see if that was the culprit.

I had this problem of .gifs not displaying. I tried a number of things with Zone Alarm, Java, etc. I noticed IE and Netscape had the same problem, suggesting something more systemic. I checked the "hosts" file, which is used by ad busting software to redirect ad requests back to the localhost or 127.0.0.1 I searched for cnn in the hosts file as that was one site or page manifesting the problem. I deleted the lines referring to cnn. This apparently fixed the problem in both IE and Netscape. We'll see if the solution sticks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back