Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Internet Explorer Missing Images "x" 8

Status
Not open for further replies.

sunwindandsea

Programmer
Dec 20, 2001
US
Some of my workstations have a problem displaying images in Internet Explorer 6.0 SP1. A red "x" is displayed in the upper right hand corner of the image in a small box with a white backgroud. I have updated to the lastest Service Pack and security patches from MS and the problem perist on the five workstations.

Five have the problem and the other 20 do not. The same Norton Client Security policy is used for all workstations.

The OS on all systems is Windows XP Pro, 1.8 -2.4 GHz, 512 MB, lots od HHD space remaining on each system.

Thanks for your suggestions.

Ed

In Tools - Options - Advanced, is the Show Pictures checked in the Multimedia section?

Marc
[sub]If 'something' 'somewhere' gives 'some' error, expect random guesses or no replies at all. Please specify details.
Free Tip: The F1 Key does NOT destroy your PC!
[/sub]

And what happens if you rightclick that picture (the X) and select 'Show Picture' ?

see if anything in this thread helps thread608-199497

Marc, the image is dispalyed if I right click and select Show Picture.

Thanks,

Ed

Go to Tools, Internet Options, general Tab, Settings, View Objects. Likely, your Java is damaged. Try downloading the Virtual Machine ( and reinstalling it.

Hello all,

There is a whole thread covering in depth this issue that has been running for some time now: check "iexplorer 6.0 displays no gifs" at tek-tips,(thread608-199497 is plenty of information plus some solutios in this otherwise cryptic and hard to solve problem.

Regards,
Alex

sunwindandsea ,

In Tools - Options - Advanced, uncheck the Show Pictures.
Close all IE windows
In Tools - Options - Advanced, check the Show Pictures.
In Tools - Options - Temporaly Internet files, Click Delete, including offline.
Close all IE windows.
Open a site and click refresh.
Result?

I have made serveral attempts to download and install Internet Explorer 6 from the web site and from the CD, It will install 66% from web site and 70% from CD; then it stops and will not go any further. Can somebody tell me what is happening and how I can correct it?

Moby, please make a seperate post, this is off-topic.

I have been following this thread and the other two, 199497 and 538850 and have followed each and every tip and still have the issue. Java installed, clear browser cache, restart, repair IE, look for and change hosts file, check "show pictures" in multimedia section of explorer options, changed text encoding multiple times and I still get the same issue randomly.

Even hitting refresh on the same page will often result in different gifs not displaying with respect to page before refreshing.

Can anyone offer new suggestions other than complete reinstall?

This was posted on another board recently as a possible solution:

Open the registry and - browse to: \HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\PROTOCOLS\Name-Space Handler\
- If 'http', 'https' and 'ftp' exist, then delete the keys (leave the 'mk' key)
Restart PC for changes to take effect.

Mseng,

Thanks for the reply - I looked at the registry and I only have one entry for Name space handler called "mk", nothing else. Under Protocols/handler I do have http, https though. Could that be the problem?

This is really annoying - seems I spend my life either deleting spam or clicking "show picture"

Start> Run> regsvr32 urlmon.dll
As described in the other posts, this one works for me every time. But I have to do it after almost every Windows Update ...

I have Win 98 Pentium III with IE5.5

I noticed a few references to software that stops ad popups etc. On looking back, I think my problem firt started after installing Google's Toolbar to stop ads etc. I've no idea how to uninstall it. Will try documented fix(es) and report back.

Here's everything I have on the dredded Red X

1. Go to - View - encoding - select "western european (windows)" repair ie if not sticking

2. Check that Show Pictures has not been disabled:

On the Tools menu, click Internet Options\Advanced - scroll down to Multimedia and
tick " Show Pictures"
untick "show image placeholders"
Click OK .

3. Restore Default Associations for Graphics File Types :

Go to Folder Options/File Types, and make sure that the following file types are associated by default with Microsoft Internet Explorer (Iexplore.exe):
ART image (.art)
GIF image (.gfa, .gif)
JPEG image (.jfif, .jpe, .jpeg, .jpg)

4. Install the latest version of "Microsoft Virtual Machine"

5. It could be caused by your firewall

6. If some of the images are on adverts and you have "spyblocker" installed - this will not only block some ad's but also show a red X instead of a picture

7. Of course it could be that the pictures are no longer on the website - could you give an example of website and picture which is not working for you ?

8." cleaning " your computer may also clear this problem so....
delete your temporary files.....your temporary internet files.....and clear your ie history

9. Check out this Microsoft link :-

Web Page Displays an Image As a Red X or Not at All (Q283807) :-

10. (Thanks to Rollin' Rog) See this Norton link regarding NIS

Also try disabling the "privacy" feature, we've seen that cause problems as well...

steam

Steamwiz - thanks for the thorough post - I will try this tonight - the only solution I was able to come up with was to change to Mozilla :^)

Wahoo, red x's gone (for now). I've got IE 6 with Windows 98SE. I just "repaired IE" (using Add/remove program) and I'm not getting red x's. It was this step that seemed to help:
1. Go to - View - encoding - select "western european (windows)" repair ie if not sticking
But: A few days ago, I updated to the latest version of java, and that also seemed to fix red x problems for a while - but then red x's reappeared, and so now I'm hoping the IE repair job fixed the problem...

HUGE THANKS [roll1]

Oops - I spoke too soon. Red X's came back. So I had to do another step, which was to modify the registry (as per instructions I found here:
[tt]"Basically, I followed the instructions in the Microsoft Bulletin 283807 you referenced above to change the code table specified in my registry EXCEPT.... Instead of specifying the c_28591.nls as the default, I changed the default to c_1252.nls. After rebooting, the problem was history."[/tt]

And I'm hoping hoping hoping it's history for me, too

Jasper[roll1]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back