Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

internet explorer home page

Status
Not open for further replies.

bstnlvr

Technical User
Nov 25, 2002
US
I set my home page but everytime I have to log off all the way off my PC or reboot it for any reason, when it comes back up and I use explorer it has a diffrent home page. it is the same page every time. I have tryed looking in the start up and removing it but again when I log off and get back on it defalts to the old home page. what can I do to remove this and keep it from happening again. The web page it is defalting to is from a pop up that asked if I wanted it as my home page but I said no, and for some reason it changed it and now causes this trouble.

bstnlvr

It could be a program or a registry entry that is altering the default homepage. My best guess will be its some spy-ware shits that is doing it. They usually set it up in really deep into the registry so that it wont be noticed.

Try running ad-ware a few times.

Hope this helps. Information is free....dont hog it!

In case you don't want to run the ad or spyware apps you could try the following.

Go into MSConfig and look for something suspicious.
If in doubt, disable everything and reboot.
If the problem is gone, it is in there somewhere.
Enable one by one with reboots in between until it the problem comes back, then you will have it.

Or, it can be in the registry, as an explorer shell.
Look for runme.exe or so.

But, better still, try the ad and spyware as suggested before.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back