Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Internet Explorer History drop down

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vol4Ever

Technical User
Jan 26, 2002
Nope. This is not another question about clearing Explorer history!

In older versions, the history drop down inside Internet Explorer showed ONLY visited website addresses. In the new version, it still shows the addresses, but it also shows all the folders on my C drive that have recently been accessed. What's up with that? Is there a setting somewhere for Explorer to just show website history??

Not sure if that's an Explorer issue or a Vista issue. Thanks!

~Vol

Which dropdown list are you referring to, the Address Bar one, or the actual History button?

Whereas I see only web sites listed under the History button (no folders), I do see some folders listed under the Address Bar listing.

Didn't older systems have a "My Computer" listing under the History which was a bit like what you are describing?

This is a similar story with no solution as yet.

Have a look at this thread which is talking about History too.

new user on Vista
thread1583-1484451

This will look at the Index.dat (and a bit more) in its relationship with History.
Safely Delete the Temporary Internet Files

The address bar at the top of the page (just to the right of the back and forward arrows). The eggheadcafe link was describing the same problem. When the list drops down, it has my visited websites interspersed with the various folder names I've accessed on my local machine (e.g. C:\Projects\Completed & C:\Downloads). It's the folder list I want to get rid of. Like one of the other users said, "I don't surf my own PC".

History can also be shown in the Explorer bar on the left that does only show websites, but I don't like the clutter of an extra pane open on my desktop. It stays closed.

Is that any clearer? It's a confusing issue to try to describe.

Typed URL's are stored in the Registry Key.
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\TypedURLs

Some History/Privacy can be cleared via right-click Start Menu/ Properties, have a look at the Privacy settings to see if they have any part to play in the matter.

URL's can be cleared via the Internet Options (Browsing History) of IE.

I know how to clear them. I'm more interested in preventing them from showing up in the first place. Again, I ONLY want to get rid of the folder lists. Internet URL history is fine. Surely there's a setting somewhere that triggers the folder tracking.

Doesn't seem to be tied to those. FYI, whenever I click Delete/Delete History in the Internet options, the folders disappear along with the typed URL's. I just can't figure out why the system thinks the folders are a part of my Internet browsing history. That makes no sense.

Surely someone knows a way to stop monitoring local folders browsed?? I'm about to pull my hair out. [nosmiley]

This is the link that made me think about AutoComplete.

address bar on explorer

It is interesting to note that the tie-in between IE and Explorer is quite deep in that when you look at the Address Bar in Explorer all your Internet Browsing history is listed there too.

Bumping this back up to see of any solutions have been found in the last few months. Is my issue clear enough for people to understand what I'm talking about? I want the dropdown box at the top of my screen to show my history of visited websites, but NOT the list of folders I've recently accessed on my local PC.

:(

Does IE's Internet Options, Advanced tab, 'Do not search from the address bar' have any effect?

(PS if you don't like this behavior don't try IE8)

I had tried that to no avail. After reading your message, I D/L Exploder8. Actually, I kind of like how they do the history now. The organization blends in well with my anal personality.

Same problem with the history section, though. It shows a history of all the files I've recently accessed. I wonder why they don't make that section to where it ONLY shows visited websites? After all, I am inside Internet Explorer. If nothing else, maybe split that into 2 different sections: web history and file history.

Oh well. Sounds like I get to live with it a while longer. :(

It appears that Indexing may indeed be the problem. What I wonder is if the "halsey" solution from that thread renders the Indexer useless? Like one of the posters said, it is ridiculous for Microsoft to recommend completely disabling one function to fix a problem with another.

And my experience so far with IE8 has not been stellar. Looks like they have quite a few bugs to work through. I'll probably end up back at IE7 at some point although I think IE8 is headed in the right direction. Eventually. ;)

I have been having the same problem - and have not found any hints at a good solution. Has anyone come up with the answer yet? Am new to this forum so not sure at all if I am entering this correctly.
Thanks for your help

HI -thanks so much for the recommendation - but it is not a solution to this particular problem without really diminishing function.
May need to just use Firefox a whole lot more.
thanks again,
Marcella

I'm curious. I only see the sites I've visited, no folders. Are you using IE to open files on your system?

--
JP

Nope - but my problem is exactly as described above.
My folders appear right along with all the IE sites I visit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back