Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

internet explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mjack70

Technical User
Apr 13, 2005
US
Hello recently I started receiving internet explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close. I was not doing anything to get this.
Windows XP
SP2
IE6

I tried ran a virus scan MCAfee and it did caught a trojan ctfmon.exe and it found and deleted it.
I also thought it had to do with this
I installed the patch and it still comes up.

I also tried system restore and nothing worked. I am still getting this. I hate to have to re image my laptop. I am hoping someone can help me figure this out.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

You might want to try upgrading to IE7. Also, I think that IE6 has a "service pack 2" out????

Rob
Just my $.02.

Hi

I have IE 7 and I get the same thing at regular intervals. I never know when it is going to happen but it does it at least two or three times a day.

When I do I switch to Firefox which will open the things that IE won’t.

I have reinstalled IE several times and it still does the same thing after a while. I have all Windows updated installed.

I guess it's just one of those Microsoft things.

Mike

It's very likely to be related to some add-on. Unfortuantely, for IE6 users it's a bit more difficult to confirm this. IE7 users can start testing by running in 'no add-ons' mode.

Have a look at the Programs tab of Internet Options. There's a button to 'manage add-ons'. Try disabling some of the third-party add-ons one at a time to see if you can find the cause.

I would also reinstall Flash and Java, as they can both cause these types of problems.

IE6 may benefit from this.

Internet Explorer Fix

Or this.

Internet Explorer Error
thread779-767520

Both IE6 and IE7 may have this type of routine to try. I don't have IE6 to check out how much of this is applicable.

You could try resetting Internet Explorer settings. (Help and Support article)

"If disabling add-ons doesn't solve the problem, try resetting Internet Explorer back to its default settings. This removes all changes that have been made to Internet Explorer since it was installed, but it does not delete your favorites or feeds.

Close all Internet Explorer or Windows Explorer windows.

Click to open Internet Explorer.

Click the Tools button, and then click Internet Options.

Click the Advanced tab, and then click Reset.

Click Reset.

When you are done, click Close, and then click OK.

Close Internet Explorer and reopen it for the changes to take effect.

Hi

Thanks for the information, I'll check these out.

Mike

Hi Linney

Did the reset, and so far it seems to be working a lot better. No freeze and it's a lot quicker.

Kind of a pain having to come up with all my passwords again but this time I'm no going to install all those optional add-ons.

Thanks for the help.

Mike

Sorry for getting back so late. I decided to do a system restore back to the previous day and the error has not come back. If it does, I will try what you guys suggested.

Thank you for all your help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back