Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Internet Explorer, FTP and SMTP Cannot Find Internet Connectivity

Status
Not open for further replies.

freeflyng

IS-IT--Management
Nov 27, 2001
US
I recently cam into infection of the Nimbda virus but was successfully cleaned the same day of infection. As a result I can successfully dial up to the internet without problem, however, when I open an internet browser, it can not find that I am connected to the internet. IE is set up as my default browser and the work offline option is not checked, I have also re-installed IE and Outlook 2000, still have the same problem. Also, my SMTP Services and FTP Programs can not find the internet connection. However I have no problems using UDP.

I have run the repair utility and it did not help. Has anyone else heard of these types of problems or know of any known fixes other than re-installing 2k.

In IE Connections, what setting are you using? There is a box in there somewhere maked hide this connection from other applications.

I am using a standard analog 56k v.90 modem to dial in. My IE connections are set to never dial a connection. I have tried "always dial my default connection" as well with no success.

I have been unsuccessful at locating the box you are referencing. Are you talking about Internet Explorer settings or the Dial Up Adapter settings. Either way, I have not located the box as of yet.

what version on IE have you got? i recently installed IE6 from MS update site and i had to reinstall win2k to get my internet connection workin again.

how did you clear um the virum. i am havin trouble gettin rid of it?

My problem did originate when using IE6. I am now using IE5.5. Strangely, I was able to remove all the IE6 components after the crash and install 5.5 from CD w/current service pack.

When you reinstalled w2k were you able to install over the existing installation without having to reinstall all your software?

The virus is was installed in my INETPUB directory. I have a duel boot system and my 2k was only affected. My resolution was to de-install IIS, ran a complete scan with current McAfee DAT off the clean OS and deleted the infected files. In addition I went to and selected their home utility to do an online scan and clean as well, this is a free service. Once I found no further traces of the virum, I installed Ad-ware from Lava Soft at and checked for suspicious files. After this is done, reinstall IIS, install the security for the Nimda.

I belive you can find instructions on how to creat an NTFS Boot AntiVirus Boot Disk at

i had to totally reformat and destroy thenb re-build the file system, starting completely from scratch. i have nimbda in my inetpub dir too, i have also removed IIS, run a scan, deleted the dir and then reinstalled IIS but i still have it. i have not actually found anything harmful it really does so i treat it more as a pet now.

Your pet is a very nasty one. Did you reboot your system after you deinstalled IIS and deleted the folders and empying your recycle bin before you reinstalled IIS again?

In IIS under your default website service...

Right-click My Computer, and select "Manage"..then go to "Services and Applications", then "Internet Information Services" then "Default Web Site".

Disable Script Source Access to prevent hackers from scanning your machine for vulnerabilities. Also - and machine connected to the internet and running or hosting web services should have real-time virus protection running as well.

Those "script kiddies" can re-infect your machine again and again if you allow scripts in your Intetpub areas. You MUST run antivirus and keep the definitions up to date on a regular basis, or your PC is a sitting duck online.

Disable the script access, and also check the box to "log visits" so you know who does what and when. You know you're getting hit with viruses, and it's recurring - so prevent it from happening again, and safeguard it with real-time virus protection for the next round of wild virii..

Good luck!
Pbxman
Systems Administrator

Please let Tek-Tips members know their posts were helpful.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back