Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

internet explorer dns problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

devilman0

IS-IT--Management
Nov 14, 2002
US
I connect through a router to the inet. Other programs can successfully resolve dns to the host. Dns is cached by a win2k server running dns. Clearing cache doesn't help. When the symtoms appear, i've tried on other machines, and they still work (even to the sites i try to visit). Restarting does fix it for a while, but then it starts to do it again (no one site/time causes it) Any thoughts?

Thanks,
James
[afro][mad]
"Make it idiot-proof and someone will make a better idiot." ~bumper sticker

I take it you are having problems resolving DNS? Are you pointing to the 2kServer as the DNS server or are pointing to your local ISP's DNS servers? If not make the primary one of your ISP's DNS servers and see if things change.

ME

sorry, problems i am having is if i put in it actually goes to I have cleared the cache on the dns thinking this will help. Other programs are still able to resolve the addresses required by them. this version of IE is 6 sp1 with all the patches applied. nslookup of the domains gives me ip's and if i put them in, it goes straight to where it is suposed to go. It is very strange. I have run Spybot and system is spyware free, virus scan also reveals no viruses.

Thanks,
James
[afro][mad]

Devilman,

You say you have cleared the cache on the DNS. Do you mean the server or the workstation that's having the problem ?

If you haven't cleared the workstation cache do so with ipconfig /flushdns.

Make sure the 2K server has cache pollution prevention enabled. This article explains how:

Hope this helps.

SL

Buy secureing the dns, will this cause problems for the legacy machines (win98, me)?

Thanks,
James
[afro][mad]

The workstation is having the problem, other computers can connect to the correct addresses. (eg: will give on other computers, where as this one, it can sometimes give a diff address (random))

Thanks,
James
[afro][mad]

no secondary, it only points to server, then server points to two isp dns's.

Thanks,
James
[afro][mad]

When you say that the server points to 2 ISP DNS servers, is that thru the Forwarders or in the NIC properties?

Thanks,

Matt Wray
MCSE, MCSA, MCP, CCNA

That is Forwardars.

Thanks,
James
[afro][mad]

Devilman,

What OS is running on the workstation that is having the problems ?

Have you tried looking at the workstation's local resolver cache when these problems start (ipconfig /displaydns) to see what machine is providing DNS info ?

BTW, if you enable cache polution on your server it shouldn't affect your downlevel clients (9.x, Me etc.)

SL

I am running Win2k Sp4 lastest everything, browser is IE6 sp1 latest updates. I am certian the server is not the problem here, everyone connects the same way i do, the all use the same dns. To solve the issue i have to restart my workstation (after that it works again for a period of time) this all points to this machine. Thanks for your suggestions, cache polution, ipconfig /flushdns, didn't work.

Thanks,
James
[afro][mad]

Nothing in the eventlog. I use trillin for misc chat, it uses same dns, also, ftpexplorer also has no problems. I am starting to think this may be a dns cache setting on this machine for IE (if such a thing exists).

Thanks,
James
[afro][mad]

Try another browser, like Mozilla or Netscape. If those work fine, then we know it is something with IE and can look more closely there....

Thanks,

Matt Wray
MCSE, MCSA, MCP, CCNA

devilman,

If I remember correctly IE uses Windows sockets. Have you installed any applications on this workstation that may have made changes to the Winsock ? I know that Novell's Netware client did this on Win 9.x machines.

I'd start by looking at the last app you remember installing before this problem started. Uninstall that app and see if the problem persists.

I would also try downloading RegClean from Microsoft's site (version 4.1). Despite what they say it works fine on Windows 2000 and creates a backup of your registry before attempting any repairs.

Hope this helps.

SL

Will try. As a side note: i downloaded mozilla, and when IE quit going to the proper site, mozilla was still able to resolve the correct sites. Not sure if mozilla uses the same sockets libraries, but i am going to assume yes. Will try regclean later. Thanks.

Thanks,
James
[afro][mad]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back