Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Internet Explorer could not open the search page. 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrPig

Technical User
Dec 3, 2003
GB
Hello,

I've networked two PCs together wirelessly, one of which runs 98 while the other runs XP, they both seem to communicate fine and can see each other, however I'm having problems making the 98 computer access the web.

The XP computer is directly connected to the web and can surf as normal, however the 98 machine (connected via ICS) although it shows Internet Connection Gateway:Connected brings up "Internet Explorer could not open the search page" every time I try to load up a web page.

I configured the I.P./subnet address myself, and they're fine - is there anything else that should have been done in order to get this working?

Thanks.

Quote: "I configured the I.P./subnet address myself"

Nothing against you, but this is most likely the problem. XP's ICS is it's own little DHCP server and likes to give out addresses. Set the 98 machine to pick it up automatically and see what happens.

I set the 98 machine to configure its IP automatically, and it lost the network..

Thanks for the suggestion though.

What IP address did it get? - should be 192.168.0.2

Well, when I manually configure it I set it to that - however, when I let it be decided automatically it becomes:

And the subnet mask changes from 255.255.255.0 to 255.255.0.0

Try running this tool on the win98 machine, then see if it will pick up the correct address.

As a side note, there are a couple of other possible reasons why that machine might not get an IP address correctly including firewalls & antivirus tools. If you think this might be the case have a look in forum581 and look for a post with a lot of stars.

Tried the download, no luck - there's currently no firewalls/anti-virus running on the machine, however I shall check the other forum.

Thanks for all your help.

Your XP machine should have two network connections. Either two NICs or one NIC and something through the USB port. Anyway, the one network connection that connects from the XP machine to the Win98 machine should have an IP of 192.168.0.1 if it's a private IP. XP does this automatically.

Set the IP address manually on the Win98 machine. Go to your XP machine and type "IPCONFIG /ALL" at the command prompt. Write down your DNS IPs...there should be two. Use this DNS info on your Win98 IP configuration. Also set your win98 machines gateway to 192.168.0.1. You should be able to ping 192.168.0.1 and you should be able to ping the DNS IPs.

Superb, works now.

Although the speed of the connection on the computer not directly connected to the Internet is a bit on the slow side (when I say I bit, it's possibly worse than 56k used to be)

Any reasons/ways to fix this?

I seem to be having a similar problem, though my machine is not networked. I'm a bit of a novice at this stuff so thought I might get some help here. When I boot up my pc, I am online, as it should be. However after a period of several minutes, somehow it seems the connection is no longer detected; I can't successfully surf to any site, and I received the 'Internet Explorer could not open the search page' error message.

The strange thing is, I use instant messaging services, and the connection remains active for those if I am using them at the time, but I nonetheless can't reach any websites. I've encountered a similar issue while listening to an online broadcast. The feed continued without issue, but I could no longer navigate from site to site.

This is very frustrating and I keep having to reboot my pc to get back online, and sometimes that doesn't even work. Is there something I've set up incorrectly under Internet Options, or some other IP- or DNS-related issue that might need to be corrected? If anyone can help me out here, or point me in the right direction, I would appreciate it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back