Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

internet explorer could not open the search page 12

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drachenhunter

Technical User
Dec 5, 2002
US
Hello,

I have two computers that share a dsl connection. right now one computer works and the other doesn't. on the one that doesn't work every time I enter an address(web or ip) I get a message that "internet explorer could not open the web page. The dsl is set up correctly on that computer as I can ping both ip address and web site names. also I've read a post somewhere once before about how to correct this error (by deleteing/renaming some .dll's) but I cannot find it now that I need it. I've tried uninstalling IE and re installing it. but when I uninstalled it, windowsME(R) tried to re install a previous version and that didnt work(it kept getting an error).

I've loaded up the ME disc and re loaded it and nothing same thing, I might as well not have done it. I'm really tapped out right now, I can't figure out what to do, I can ping but nothing else I can't even telnet into the router(I might be doing it wrong though.) Please if anyone knows what I can do I'd greatly appreciate it.

I am using Windows ME with IE 6.0 and use cable modem.
I using USB connection to modem and am getting error -
Downloading from site res://c:\windows\system\shdoclc.dll\dnserror.htm
I have tried everything but it is not working.I can ping
to website but browser is not working including netscape.
I tried- I have reset all my internet settings but still cannot
connect to internet. Pl help. I was trying to connect to wireless router ( linksys )and since then this problem started. Now even without router, directly to cable modem I cannot use. I also tried using winsock fix suggested above but didn't work. When I do ipconfig /all I get ip address, subnet mask and default gateway for PC but no DHCP, or DNS server. My laptop that is connected to cable modem using ethernet is working.Not sure if it is related to USB or something got corrupted while configuring router.How can I fix it?Many thanks for your support.

What adapters show up when you run ipconfig /all? Is the adapter that your cable modem is attached to coming up and is that the one with no DNS listed? You may want to try “ipconfig /?” to get the listing of all switches for that command and maybe try the switch /registerdns .

To answer your question (After you stop being able to display web pages, do you still have an internet connection?), yes, I still have a connection. My modem continues to blink, and my IM services remain active. I have also had this issue while listening to an Internet broadcast. I could no longer navigate the web but the live feed continued uninterrupted. Several technicians and I have also continued to be able to ping various sites when I've called for support.

This is part of what makes this so frustrating. I can still use the Internet to a certain extent, but navigating the web is no longer possible.

As mentioned, I've tried WinSockFix, though perhaps as you suggest it will not help in this instance. I'm not sure however if there isn't something I missed when I ran it. Regardless, thanks for the assistance and suggestions. If you should happen to come across anything that might fix this issue, please let me know. Thanks!

BCastner's freeware listed (several stars, above) worked!! So simple, after hours of running virus scan and pop-up killer s/w. Thanks.

FOR WINDOWS 98 FE & SE, AND WINDOWS ME

---======Computer will not Surf======---

Error Message:
|__________________________________|

1. Click Start-Goto Settings-Click Control Panel.

2. In Control Panel Double click Network.

3. Click-Highlight-and Remove all Bindings of TCP/IP in Network/Configuration Tab.

4. Click OK. (A Message will Appear) "Your Network is incomplete do you wish to Continue"...Choose YES. REBOOT when asked.

AFTER RESTART FOLLOW THESE STEPS:

1. Goto Start Menu then Click RUN

2. Type regedit click OK.

3. Double Click HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE

4. Double click SYSTEM

5. Double click CurrentControlSet

6. Double click Services

7. Delete the Winsock and Winsock2 Folders.

8. Double Click VXD

9. DELETE AFVXD, DELETE MSTCP, DELETE DHCP, DELETE DHCP OPTIONS, DELETE WINSOCK AND WINSOCK2 (if listed).

10. Close the registry editor.

12. Goto Control Panel and Click ADD\REMOVE Programs.

13. Click the Windows Setup Tab.

14. Double Click Communications then uncheck the box next to Dial-Up Networking. Click OK.....THEN CLICK APPLY on the next screen.

15. Reboot.

16. Repeat steps 12-15 this time RECHECK the box next to Dial-Up Networking....Reboot and Your good to go..

PEACE

In10City,

Yep, that was the one that solved it.

Tried the two download programs including the "Qhost" from Symantec and just happened to see your posting at the end of this thread.

None of the other ideas worked out to bring up the browser window but your idea about removing the registry entries and DUN did the trick!

Thanks for making me look good in the neighborhood. I get ALL the computer problems around here over the years and this one had me stumped for a few days. It's been added to my "list of tricks" for the next time I see this one.

Andy (SW Florida)

I have downloaded the Winsock fix and will use it when I get back to the infected computer. If it works, I will kiss you all! Thanks bcastner

The winsock fix worked! Thanks so much! This site has been invaluable to me! Here are the kisses I promised...[lipstick] [lipstick]

I have had this fault using winxp, a netgear radio network system through a set top box to broadband. Tried all of the above fixes & searches, still no good. No trojans or anything else found. I had an excellent connection to the broadband net but could not get Internet Explorer, Outlook Express or MSN to connect.
Out of desperation switched everything off. Plugged in the netgear base unit, then the set top box and then the computer - the damned thing fired straight up and linked to the net perfectly. It appears it is very touchy on which piece of equipment is switched on when!!!
Hope this helps others out, I lost hours.....days....!!!

Bcastner. If EVER you come to Puerto Vallarta, Mexico, email me and I will buy you a beer. I thought I was good at this but now I am humbled. I actually joined the site just to tell you that I appreciated it.

Got a similar problem. Running WinXP home and I can connect either by dial-up or thru network (at work) to the internet. BUT I can only access sites by IP Address. If I enter a site name in the URL bar I get "Internet Explorer could not open the search page ". I installed Mozilla. Same problem (different message of course). So this can't be an IE problem but something to do with Name resolution.
Help pls.

Found the answer to this one myself! Just reinstalled XP Home - problem solved.

G'day,

You folks are worth a million. I have been fighting this for the past 2 days and solved my problem using the Winsock Fix.

I'll explain what happened in case it helps.

1. I installed a firewall - Zone Alarm free version and everything was fine.

2. I used PestScan from Zonelabs site to scan for problems and came up with 151 (included in that were a lot of cookies).

3. I started to delete some entries in the windows directory and registry, one in particular was SAHAgent (ShopAtHome) and I suspect that may have been my main problem.

4. There were a couple of others, but I didn't make notes (stupid!!).

Anyhow, thanks a lot once again.

Hi Everyone,
My problem seems similar to y'alls problem, but with some variation. I am able to browse fine(meaning to all pages)on my Linux partition but i cannot get the same pages in WinXP home IE or Mozilla browsers to open.
I am sharing my DSL connection through a hub between 1 PC and 2 laptops. The pages open fine on my server PC but not on the laptops!
I have tried the Winsock fix already but seems it did not fix it!
Any help is appreciated.

mcubexm,

Replace the hub with an inexpensive broadband router. Done. You are not going to get where you want with the hub.

Thanks for the suggestion. But i am curious why only some webpages don't open?(Minding its not any **orn site) Is there a clear cut tutorial on Hubs and Routers on the internet, I am a novice in networking so am eager to learn.

Thanks again.

i've also got a variation on this error.

currently running a netgear DG834G wireless router on my main rig, and a laptop with a standard wifi card.

the laptop has been running perfectly for a few months and all of a sudden it's fallen apart. my main rig runs fine and can ping/surf etc.

the laptop is a little awkward though: i slip the wifi card in and it can pick the network connection up perfectly no problems there. but for some reason it isn't able to connect to the internet in any way. the laptop is unable to ping the main machine, it is unable to ping any other site, it is unable to open a web page ("IE cannot open search page etc etc"). when i try to sign into msn i get an "0x81000365 unable to connect because you may be behind a firewall".

i've googled the problem to death but no solutions thus far. i've tried turning my firewall off, reinstalling, opening new port ranges for all the difference that would make. well i'm stumped.

as far as the laptop goes it's not mine but my sisters, so no doubt she may or may not have allowed trojans etc through. i've run anti-virus and ad aware and cleaned the damn thing out but still nothing. i've scoured the registry for entries related to spyware or anything foreign in my IE entries. i've also tried winsock but that doesn't do the job either.

so yeah, pretty much stumped here.

I have more or less similar problem. On my Linksys I have a desktop & a laptop on XP. Laptop for office work.. connects to intranet. But, at home, I am not able to connect to intranet : Says "Page can not be displayed". I can ping though the site. From works, no probelm, I can connect. From home I am able to connect all other sites. I tried WinsockFix.exe. But when I ran it, my AT&T client, which is used to get access to office related stuff failed to start, saying some firewall is not running.(?) SO I went back and restored my registry. Any help/tips Bcastner? Thanks.

bcastner,
Yeah my problem might get solved using a router in Windows XP, but i am able to view the same webpages in Linux partition! without a router, I was curious what is wrong on the windows XP platform? Anyone familiar why? Please let me know its kind of curious to me.
Thanks for your reply.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back