Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Internet Explorer and Windows XP Pro

Status
Not open for further replies.

computerlady143

Technical User
Apr 2, 2008
US
I am having problems running IE 8 on Windows XP. It been working fine for years. But now it will only let us browse sometimes it runs sometimes it can't find the web page. But I can open Chrome with no Problems. Any Id deal? Internet connection is working fine.

Tried that didn't work!!!! I can ping the sites and get replies from the command prompt but not go to the sites.

Try resetting IP stack. Don't worry, link is safe.
Link

REBOOT after running - mandatory. What happens afterward?

Try IE in safe mode. Start > Run type iexplore -extoff and press OK

"Living tomorrow is everyone's sorrow.
Modern man's daydreams have turned into nightmares.

I have made more observations and I getting ready to try goombawaho fix. I am using Internet Explorer 8 and Windows XP on a Domain. All computers can get e-mails, ping websites but can't use IE to get to the sites. Such as Yahoo can be pinged but if I go to the address bar and put in - I get page cannot be displayed. I also tried Google Chrome I know it not I worked with Trend Micro plus just to be sure I uninstalled the software from one workstation. I am using Trend Micro Worry Free Standard. Any suggestion? I really need to get this fixed today been going on for about a week. Occasionally an users can get to sites but it hit and miss!!!

All computers can get e-mails, ping websites but can't use IE to get to the sites.
Then forget my previous advice. The sentences you use are not comprehensible - sorry if you are non-native English speaker. Does Chrome work? Does the A-V have to be uninstalled for Chrome to work? Does IE work when A-V is uninstalled.

It's either your A-V/firewall product OR it's upstream of your PCs, like your router. Do you have a proxy server? Have you rebooted your router?

Yea your First fix didn't work. I am American and neither browser work it not the AV or Firewall. I totally removed it from a workstation as a test. I had to observe the behavior cause at time it seemed to work. But my last post is an accurate assessment. Somebody before me set it up using a 2nd Network Card in the Server used a Switch with no router. It been working for years. Not sure what changed. Have an Ideal going to check with ISP. I replaced the Switch - now I going to add a Router and removed the cable for the 2nd card and let the router do the DHCP. Let you know what happens!!!

You have 2 network cards? Are they connected to the same or different networks?

Possibility #1: both networks have the same address ranges - eg both are DHCP with a 192.168.1.x range
Possibility #2: IE is defaulting to the wrong network. If it is this then just change the connection settings so it picks up the right network or change the network order.

A little hint for now and for future questions. Please put more effort into your replies so that they are easy to understand and progress logically describing all the steps you have taken and the results.

Since all machines are acting the same, I would think the issue is with a common denominator to them, i.e. the server. I could see the switch being a possibility if it were a managed switch, but in this setup, it most likely isn't, and since you can ping sites, but not resolve them, it is not a switch issue. check the setting on the server for DNS, and group policies. Create a new user account on a workstation, does it have the same issues? does an admin account? are you able to get to the sites using the console on the server? have there been any software updates to the server? And you may think you are being accurate in your descriptions to the issue,but we don't know what setup you have, and everyone's environment is different, but we should not be learning that this effects all workstations in a domain environment in your third post, that should have been in the first. And before you change the topology of the network, think about the impact it will have on the other applications, and how they communicate. You have a domain setting, this isn't home networking 101, you can't go down to Best Buy and purchase a router off the shelf and install it without knowing what the consequences are to everything else in the network. Check the logs on the server, it should tell you when a workstation is attempting to go to an outside ip address, and when it fails, it should give a reason. Did you try disabling the firewall or antivirus on the server? In your setup it appears all internet activity goes through the server, so why not start there?

Sorry Folks I usually more detailed oriented been super busy!!! I am using Windows 2003 Server Software on the Server of course. The workstation are Windows XP. One network cards have IP address in the TC/IP and the other doesn't.

1. Describe how the workstations connect to the network - all connecting into a single switch - managed or unmanaged?
2. The server has one network card connected (to what) and the other network card is WHAT?? Connected, not connected. If NOT connected, I would disable it in Dev Mgr.
3. Post IPCONFIG /ALL of server and of a typical workstation (verify the config is the same on three workstations please) before posting.
4. Describe your internet connection - Modem, router, ISP, cabling into network.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back