Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Internet Explorer 9 problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

tyndallit

Technical User
Oct 7, 2010
CA
We are replacing our older PCs with Windows 7 Professional computers (64-Bit)
Our Application Service Provider is telling us we must use either Internet Explorer 7 or 8.

As far as I know, neither IE 7 or 8 are compatible with Windows 7 64-bit.

Does anyone know of a workaround for this type of problem?

Hi,
I run IE8 ( the 32bit version as recommended by Microsoft) on my 64bit W7 PC..No problems.

[profile]

To Paraphrase:"The Help you get is proportional to the Help you give.."

Turkbear said:
I run IE8 ( the 32bit version as recommended by Microsoft) on my 64bit W7 PC..No problems.
Ditto for me.

Hope this helps.

Please help us help you. Read Tek-Tips posting polices before posting.
Canadian members check out Tek-Tips in Canada for socializing, networking, and anything non-technical.

Are you sure yor Windows 7 is 64-bit and not 32-bit?

I've now tried installing IE8 on 2 different 64-bit Win 7 and get the same messageem" on each. "IE8 is not supported on this system"

I have however installed IE8 on 32-bit Win 7 PCs.

Please advise how you did it because the traditional route of downloading & installing from Microsoft Website will not work

Hi,
Yes it is 64bit ( 8GB Ram, Dell StudioXPS, Intel I7) and I just installed it as usual from Microsoft.

[profile]

I too have 7 64, IE8 installed. "Upgraded" to 9 and hated all the bugs so I went back to 8. Also, just came as an update to 7 and worked fine....

"Silence is golden, duct tape is silver...

Last I checked, Internet Explorer 8 is the default browser included with Windows 7 32 & 64-bit versions; the 64-bit OS also includes a 64-bit Internet Explorer 8.

How are you installing Windows 7 on these machines? I thought Windows 7 came with IE 8 already included?

Does this version of IE 8 install, although it doesn't say Windows 7 in System Requirements?

Windows Internet Explorer 8 for Windows Vista 64-bit Edition or Windows Server 2008 64-bit Edition

We just ordered new Dell Laptops and Desktops and all are WIndows 7 64-bit with Ih nternet Explorer 9, not IE 8. We have a couple of Win 7 32-bit PCs ordered last year and they came with IE8.

If I go to Microsoft Download Site, IE8 for WIndows 7 is not even an option.

Hi,
That may be Microsoft's way of moving 7 users to IE9, but if you try the Vista version of 8 it should work fine.

[profile]

Do these newer units give the ability to remove IE9? If so maybe that'll restore IE8?

Do they have an uninstall Internet Explorer 9 in either "Programs and Features", or "View installed updates" (same section) that would revert you back to IE 8 if successful?

Mind you, perhaps your "Application Service Provider" should tell you (and us) why you can't use IE 9 in the first place?

That's a neat trick re. F12 to change browser mode, but still doesn't work for me.

I spoke to Dell and they confirmed, you can't downgrade IE9 to IE8, unless IE8 was on the system to begin with.

Also, I can't uninstall IE9 because it's not in my list of programs in Uninstall or Change a Program. The only thing I can do is unselect it in "Turn Windows Features on or off".

Dell tells me to call Microsoft

No this doesn't work because it assumes there is a previously installed version. All PCs shipping from Dell are Win 7 with IE9. There is no previously installed version. Dell Tech Support acknowledges this and is directing everyone to call Microsoft.

I hung up after waiting 40 minutes to talk to Microsoft

Can you not use a different browser, I assuming you have already thought about this, just curious why it has to be IE.

"Silence is golden, duct tape is silver...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back