Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Internet explorer 8 cannot print on 64 bit version 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaco235

Instructor
Dec 3, 2002
CA
Hi guys,i cannot print on IE8.0.7600 version 64 bit and no problem on 32 bit version.I am using windows 7 family premium, is there any solution for this problem.

Thanks for your help.

jaco235

Are we assuming you can print from other applications that you have installed and that it's just IE8 you can't print from? There's going to be a solution as I can't imagine even M$ created an OS you can't print from [smile]

I used to have a handle on life... but it broke. Cpt. Red Bull

We really need more information than that.
[ol]
[li]What happens when you try to print from IE? [/li]
[li]Can you send a test page to the printer form the Printer Properties page?[/li]
[li]Can you print form other applications such as Word?[/li]
[li]Is the Printer being detected in the printers folder?[/li]
[li]Is this Printer a local printer or a network Printer?[/li]
[/ol]

----------------------------------
Phil AKA Vacunita
Ignorance is not necessarily Bliss, case in point:
Unknown has caused an Unknown Error on Unknown and must be shutdown to prevent damage to Unknown.

Behind the Web, Tips and Tricks for Web Development.

I do not have any problems with other programs, if i press the print button on the IE8 64 bit nothing happens but if press it on the right button on the mouse i get the regular print box and nothing happens .If i chechk on the printer list nothing is there, and my printer is an hp photosmart C309A series.There is no problem on the 32 bit version of IE8.
Thanks for your help.

Jaco235

Well after a little digging I did find this:

Microsoft Answers said:
Printing is dependent on ActiveX Controls which aren't supported (don't work) in IE8 64-bit.

Solution: If you need to print a page, open the page in IE8 32-bit.

Not sure if that holds true still or at all.

Also you may want to try this:

You cannot print or print preview Web pages in Internet Explorer 8

Phil AKA Vacunita
Ignorance is not necessarily Bliss, case in point:
Unknown has caused an Unknown Error on Unknown and must be shutdown to prevent damage to Unknown.

Behind the Web, Tips and Tricks for Web Development.

Hi,
Actually, I can print from both versions of IE8, so not sure what may be at the root of this problem.
I would usually think it was a driver issue, but if other 64bit apps can print, that seems unlikely.

[profile]

To Paraphrase:"The Help you get is proportional to the Help you give.."

Thank you guys, I finally got many answer for my problem on (blogs.msdn.com) and i will simply have to wait until all add-on are written on 64bit.I have a 64bit computer, windows7 64 bit but no program in 64 bit.

thank again.

Jaco235

I've recently ran into the same problem with friend who had an HP printer as well. I think the activeX controls may differ based on the printer vendor but it does seem to be an issue with HP printers.

The solution is simple though!

Your most likely using the Internet Explorer icon labeled 'Internet Explorer (64-bit)' or a copy of that shortcut someone created for you.
To fix this, remove the shortcut from the desktop, go into the start menu -> all programs, and drag a copy of the 'Internet Explorer' shortcut to the desktop. (Not the 'Internet Explorer (64-bit)'!)

You should now be able to print!

Additionally, if you see a blank screen in the print preview feature then you might have a corrupt or missing 'Low' folder.
To fix this, click start, type %Temp% in the run box(With the percent signs) and then hit enter. Windows explorer should open up to your local temp folder. Tap your 'Alt' key so your Text menus show up at the top of that window and click 'File', then go down to 'New' then 'Folder'. Give it the name 'Low'. *Your account will need administrator privileges to do this.*

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back