Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Internet Explorer 6 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Snooz

Technical User
Aug 3, 2001
US
I used to be able to enter text into the address bar and hit Ctl/Enter and IE5.0 used to add the for me and go directly to the website. With 6.0 when I do the same thing I.E 6 will do a search and I have to click on the search results to go to the page.

Is there a way to eliminate the search and have IE 6 go directly to the webpage just like 5.0 used to?

It still works the same here. When IE searches, it's usually because it can't find the site. Remember that CTRL+Enter also adds .com to the end of the address, so if it's not a .com, it won't work.

Check your Internet Explorer AutoComplete settings (Tools, Internet Options..., Content tab, AutoComplete... button) and be sure that Web addresses is checked

Smah,

When I enter abc in my address bar and hit Ctrl,Entr, I get this, and go directly to the msn search results. I used to be able to go directly to the abc.com website before. I think I was able to do this with IE6 too, but somewhere along some setting must have changed and I now go to the msn search.

What options have you got checked in "Search from the Address Bar". Have a look under Tools/ Internet Options/ Advanced.

I have the option "Just go to the most likely site" checked.

When Web addresses in unchecked in AutoComplete, I get the same results, except a different site: whether "Just go to the most likely site" is selected or not (Apparently, Microsoft thinks MSN is always the most likely site :))

However, when Web addresses is checked, the is prefixed and the .com is appended, as Snooz is asking about, and the site is loaded.

I've tried this on three machines running IE6.

I have web addresses checked in the Content box. When I check to see whats selected on the Search from Address Bar nothing was selected. What is interesting if I select Got to most Likely Site it works the first time I try entering something on the address bar, but will revert to the same MSN search when I enter something else in the Address bar. When I check if Go to most likely Site is still checked, none of the choices are selected.

Obviously something is resetting my settings after it performs the operation one time. I guess I may have to just learn to live with this until I clean install xp again.

I would love to simply disable the auto search feature. Usually i get this because i mistyped 1 letter, and it would be much more convenient for my browser to just not find anything and leave whatever i typed in the address bar so that i can correct it. When i search i use google, not msn!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back