Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Internet Explorer 6 on Windows 98

Status
Not open for further replies.

biaya

Technical User
Nov 14, 2002
GB
I've managed somehow to damage my Internet Explorer 6. I can't reinstall Windows 98 - it won't let me. Is there any other way for me to install Internet Explorer 6 (eg can it be downloaded?). All I can do at the moment is get onto my AOL homepage and receive e-mails - I can't browse the net - every page is unavailable.

Any ideas please?

Have had success removing the 6, loading an earlier version, then doing an upgrade off the web. But every one is different.

What seems to be the problem with a 98 "over the top". Generally have found 98 to be the friendliest for that.

Ed Fair
Give the wrong symptoms, get the wrong solutions.

What do you mean "it won't let me" reinstall Windows 98? In time I spent with Windows 98, I found that reinstalling was usually quicker than trying to pinpoint some obscure problem (although the challenge of bailing yet another flopped Windows 98 installation out of trouble is fun...for a while)

The more I learn, the more I know I don't know enough.
<order>chicken w/garlic sauce combo</order>
For those about to rock, we salute you.
NO DISASSEMBLE!

Each time I tried to reinstall Windows, I got a message saying that the version on my pc is newer than that on the disk, or something about a virus programme needing to be removed, which I had already done.

Any more ideas?

Don't install Windows over itself. Do a full clean install.

The more I learn, the more I know I don't know enough.
<order>chicken w/garlic sauce combo</order>
For those about to rock, we salute you.
NO DISASSEMBLE!

Okay, this is the latest: This is my uncle's PC. He upgraded his AOL 8 to AOL 9 and installed a spyware. That's when the probelms started. We tried uninstalling AOL, removing the AOL dial-up adapters and isntalling a new ISP. Still the same problem (cannot browse any pages - each one is unavailable!). We tried to reinstall Windows 98 but it gave a message that the disk was older than the one on his PC and so could not install it. He also had messages about DLLs missing but when I searched his C drive they were all there.
I found a download of IE 6 on the website that you guys suggested which I downloaded to disk and sent to him. He installed it yesterday, but he still can't get past his ISP page. He is able to go to AOL and download e-mail but cannot surf.
This has been going on for about 2 months now. Any URGENT suggestions would be much appreciated before the hammer comes out and the PC gets thrown through the nearest open window!
Cheers.

We have downloaded and run the Winsock fix that you pointed us to. It went through the motions, told us that it had removed something and needed the Windows 98 disk. Now it cannot find what it's looking for on the W98 disk and is blue-screening on start up, saying that it's missing vdx drivers. so we can't even get past startup. Any ideas please? Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back