Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Internet Explorer 6.0 downloads hobbled-most don't complete 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

jcpierce1122

Technical User
Jul 21, 2004
US
Hi, IE6 gurus!

A couple of weeks ago, suddenly I could not complete downloads of files using IE6. It would download the first few meg, then stall. The file types I was downloading were .exe, .avi and .mpg mostly. Often there was no "progress indicator" where normally one would show, but sometimes the indicated displayed but stopped.

I've been using Mozilla Firefox for downloads since then (faster than IE anyway but it's cumbersome to be switching back and forth). But I do want to restore IE6's download powers, which worked perfectly before. Was some setting changed by another program? Which one? I personally didn't change any settings, but maybe they were changed for me?

If you have any clue why it will start but rarely finish a download, I'd be most grateful!

Thanks in advance for your help.
John

Thanks...I've downloaded a MS Knowledge Base item called "How to Reinstall or Repair IE6 or Outlook Express in XP" and it gives a series of steps, including a registry edit to allow the reinstall. I was hoping something really simple that I missed might come up from this board that would make the reinstall unnecessary, like a seetting to be changed somewhere, but maybe I'll have to just go ahead in that direction. Thanks...John

Run the System File Checker program from the Run Box by typing.....Sfc /Scannow in it and have your XP CD handy.

HOW TO: Verify Unsigned Device Drivers in Windows XP

" Microsoft has posted a generic registry-edit workaround at

But users report that the Microsoft-sanctioned technique doesn't always work, and have found other workarounds. You'll have to do some poking around among the results returned by this link in order to find a solution that matches your specific situation (there's no universal
answer, alas).

How to Reinstall or Repair Internet Explorer and Outlook Express in Windows XP (Q318378)

Download-Only Setup of Internet Explorer on Windows 2000 and Windows XP (Q257249)

You can try the following which has worked for some people.

To Reinstall IE6:

1) Insert the Win XP CD

2) Open Start / Run and type:
rundll32.exe setupapi,InstallHinfSection DefaultInstall 132 c:\windows\inf\ie.inf

Press ENTER " Quote from an unknown newsgroup.

c: = your windows drive letter.

The reason I queried about Pc-Illan is that its real-time monitor is known to cause this problem. Contact the vendor for a workaround.

Hi, Gurus:

To bcastner...no, I don't have Pc-illan, but use McAfee which seems to be more benign than Norton in my experience. Good idea to check though. Thanks.

to linney:

Thanks for this info...seems that the content of these two MS KB articles is much the same. I alrealdy did the System File Checker. It didn't find any problems and didn't ask for my CD. I'll probably end up doing the reg edit and reinstall. Seems like a simple reg edit, and I always keep a backup of my regs daily anyway. Thanks!

Different approach:

. Clean the Temporary Internet File folder through the Internet Options, General tab menu.

. Now do a tweak test of your connection to make sure that MTU and RWIN values are correct.
Use the utility "DrTCP" on that site to adjust the values if necessary for MTU and RWIN.

Hi, bcastner:

Bingo! Your cache clean suggestion, via IE6 tools, re-enabled my downloads! Great work! I'm going to do the tweak of RWIN suggested by the web site also, but I feel progress has been made! I've been using the XP diskclean function but apparently it misses this directory. Thanks for the help...now I need to test if it solved some other annoyances with IE6, such as turnoff of "visited links" and couple of other items.

I appreciate this outstanding advice!
John

Hi, bcastner:

I wrote another thank-you, but it didn't appear, so wanted to say that deleting temp files from IE6 was successful in releasing the download capability. I tried it on a 7 meg file that before would only download 1 meg before a stall.

Many thanks...I'll be trying the RWIN tweak also...great sleuthing!

Gratefully,
John

You are very welcome.
Glad you got it sorted.

Bill Castner

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back