Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Internet Database

Status
Not open for further replies.

cyberant

Programmer
Sep 21, 2003
ZA
Hi everyone

I'm attempting to write a client / server program with the following specifications.

The client will run a stand alone interbase server, which will save a price list of hardware components.

I wish for the client to periodically connect to a server on the internet and download any updated prices from the remote database.

I've thought of 3 possible ways of doing this.

1. Hosting the interbase server directly on the net and simply accessing it via its fixed IP address. Obviously issues such as speed of SQL queries and security will have to be addressed.

2. On the server side, simply have a text file with the updated prices ready for download by the clients (comma delimted). I was thinking of simply user a TCP server/client component.

3. I've heard of these AstaTech components which interface directly with interbase query and table components, they also have built in encryption.

Are these my only potential options?
Is there perhaps a better and more efficient way?
Am I missing any major drawbacks or disadvantages?

Thanks!!

Antony
Delphi Programmer (a change from VB...)

I can't say anything else about this other than that those ASTA components are good. They're fast, reliable and safe.

I used them about 3 years in my previous job, Interbase and Oracle as backend databases.

Another option would be to keep your price file on a HTTP server as an XML document, and have your client download it using TIdHTTP component.

Thanks for your input guys!!

Think I might go the ASTA components route, I really like their built in security handling. Every client I encounter is paranoid that his PC is going to be taken over by some would be hacker out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back