Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Internet Connectvity problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

blesher

MIS
Jun 8, 2006
US
using CPQ runnig Windows XP Home. Can't get to Internet via normal mode. Am able to connect to Internet via IE6 in SAFER MODE, but not normal mode. Can get email using AOL 9.0, but not internet access. Automatic Update will actually fetch and install Windows Updates, but not if I attemtp Windows Update directly. Have run Winsockfix and Mozilla. can't get to the Internet using anything in normal mode. anything else I didn't try. thanks.

Hi blesher,

Since you are able to go online in safe mode with networking your internet connection and you IE6 browser is working fine. Their could are some 3rd party services is blocking your internet connection.

so you need to do a process called "clean boot" where you need to disable all the 3rd party services.

Start -- > Run --> (Ther type) msconfig.

You will get a "system configuration utillity" window

select the "selective startup"

Uncheck the "process system.ini, win.ini, load start up items" MAKE SURE THAT "LOARD SYSTEM SERVICES" IS CHECKED

Then click on 'services' tab.

Put check mark in "hide all microsoft services" and then click on "disable all"

Then click on "apply" and click on "close"

It will ask you to restart the computer go ahead and restart it.

Then reply me whether its working or not.

If you have any doubt in this. Check out the following link

Thanks, but still doesn't work. What is really wierd is that the Microsoft Update Yellow Shield DOES provide me with updates. Also, AOL email comes thru using AOL 9.0 - but nothing via any browser, either IE6, IE7, or Firefox. Any othe ideas? Help. Thanks.

hi

Check whether the browser is IE6 or IE7 because you cant use IE6 and IE7 at the same time.

IE7 files over the IE6 browser files. So check for the version of the browser.

Based on that we will proceed with troubleshooting steps

Are you using a software firewall? If so disable it and try surfing with it disabled if it works then check the firewall settings.

I just performed a XP Repair (bringing me back to SP1). This is really wierd. Now, when I open IE6, it forces the address to I had run SPYBOT before, nothing signicant found. I ran HIJACKTHIS, nothing much found. Wierd.

What cause to be in the address bar when I start internet explorer?

Internet Explorer 6 Fix

Removing adware & spyware
How to beat your advertising popups & other browser nasties
FAQ608-3482

Removing adware & spyware
Before Posting a Hi-jack log file - Best Practices
FAQ608-4650

Make sure your options in IE/ Tools/ Internet Options/ Advanced are correct.

Uncheck the boxes for "Install on Demand" for IE and Other programs (two boxes).

Try running temporarily with the third box "Enable Third Party Browser Extensions" unchecked and see how this goes.

"This specifies that you want to disable features you installed for use with Internet Explorer that may have been created by companies other than Microsoft.
If you encounter problems with Internet Explorer that you cannot resolve, you can use this option to help determine if third-party features are causing the problems without uninstalling the feature. You must restart Internet Explorer after turning this option on or off."

If that stops your errors, you will know where the trouble is.

so now u have IE6 in your computer. So first you need to check for the IP address.

start --> Run --> cmd --> ipconfig

You should have 3 important things IP address, subnet mask and default gateway.

Then try to ping with default gateway
in command prompt type ping <default gateway number>

you should get result as (packest send = 4; received =4; loss =100%

Then try to ping with yahoo.com (ping yahoo.com)

After repair installation have tried to browse in safe mode with networking if not tried that

If you installed IE7, uninstall back to IE6 it will try to go to
To fix, right clickon the IE6 icon, properties, make sure the target ONLY HAS:

"C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.EXE" with no further data after it.

I have similar problems on my XP system, it does not matter what search engine i use i can not display webpages.
With the help of MS technicians for two weeks still could not being resolved. I also told them that every time i shut down the system i get this error message "End Prgam" "CentinelVxD this program is not responding"
They told me this error comes from Panda AV and the suggest to uninstall, I did and sure enough the problem disappeared.
Then I reinstalled Panda again it seem to work for a couple of days and all of a sudden the problem reappeared.
I uninstalled Panda and the problem is gone.

I had a lot of problems with Panda Titanium on W98 and on XP.
The problem is in 2004 I paid for updates till the end of 2008
and the people do not want to reimburse so I am stuck.
So now I will be using AVG free.
Hope this shed a little light with your problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back