Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Internet Connector License and Accounting Software

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlindMonk

IS-IT--Management
Jul 20, 2004
CA
I was thrust into the position of managing the domain for an office of about 8 or so, so i have little technical knowledge, so please excuse my ignorance.
My office is in the middle of upgrading our accounting software and i am the one left in charge of making this happen smoothly. The system requirements call for a server running windows 2000 (or 2003 but we are using 2000) with an Internet Connector Licence. My first question is: What, in the name of all that is sacred, is an internet connector licence and what practical use do i have for one?
Another question, if i may. The instalation instructions for the accounting software require me to use dcomcnfg to change the properties of 'Connection-Oriented TCP/IP' under the DCOM protocals. They require me to add ports 4000-4010 to the internet range in order to allow remote clients access to my accounting software. After i do this, my accounting software seems to not only not allow remote access, but it stops access from all users in my domain who once had access. My question is: does this have anything to do with the internet connector licence, and what on earth am i actualy doing when i add these ports?
Regards,
Warren

I have had a little experience with the Accounting software arena and it sounds like you are trying to roll out a package that anyone can access. both from internal on your intranet, and from outside from the internet.

Can you give some specifics to the software and what the requirments for setting this up in the first place was?

Hi Warren,

Here is the 411 on Internet Connector Licenses;

If none of your people will be accessing the accounting package from the web (meaning someone from the outside connecting to the server on your internal network to use the accounting app) then you don't need these nor would I advise you to open up these ports. The oldest rule in the book is only open what you need. Are you sure there are not two sets of instructions for this package?

Thanks wdoellefeld that helped alot. I think i am begining to grasp how this works.
But her is a little more information: We are upgrading from MYOB to Everest (by icode).
Everest is a three tiered system, Database, Apllication Server, and Client. We will be hosting the Database and Application server on the same machine as the website. All the clients in the office can connect properly, it is the clients at the employees houses that are the problem.
The insructions to allow remote access to the Server are thus:
Open port 1433 (SQL) (this is not a problem, i know i can access my SQL server without problems)
Then to quote directly from the manual:

• Deny all incoming traffic from the Internet to your server.
• Permit incoming traffic from all clients to TCP port 135 (RPC connection
communication port) on your application server.
• Permit incoming traffic from all clients to the TCP ports on your application
server in the port range 4000 to 4010 (DCOM data communication ports), for
DCOM configuration.
To define Port Range 4000-4010 (DCOM data communication ports) for
the Connection-oriented TCP/IP protocol, do the following:

and it goes on to give a longwinded explination of how to change the DCOM configuration and add 4000-4010 to the port range.

Once this is done, the home clients still cannot connect, and suddenly the office clients cannot either. Am i correct in thinking that because i do not have a internet connector license i cannot connect the home clients?
The internet connector licence is used to allow authenticated access, so if Everest uses that service, then without said license...
One last question, if my thinking is correct, is there any safe way to disable authentication to those ports so as to no require the internet connector license?
If what i have said is unclear, please let me know, and i will try to be more precise.

You should be able to set up VPN access for your at home clients and make it like they are actually there at the office. Your application might be a little slower than going through the internet access.
You also might look into using a thin client like Terminal services or Citrix to accomplish it also.

Still a bit unclear to me. I'm unfamiliar with Everest.

Are the clients connecting to a front end web server which is needing service from a back end SQL server?

thanks ceheide, i think VPN is the way to go. now all i have to do is figure out how to get that working.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back