Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Internet Connection

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kjonnnn

IS-IT--Management
Jul 14, 2000
US
I recently moved. Previously I had DSL. I am temporarily staying with a buddy who has Hi-Speed from Comcast. When I connect my computer to his cable modem, I cannot connect to the net. When unplugged, my net icon says network cable unplugged. When I plug in his cable modem to my computer, the icon message changes to "limited connectivity." His computer works fine when I plug it back up.

Is this a comcast driver thing. Or is there something I must change in my computer. Any ideas? Thanks for your assistance.

Do you connect directly to his modem or does it go through a router first?

If you plug into his modem/router and get the limited connectivity have you unplugged for 10 secs then replugged to see if you get proper network address?

Did you have a static address configured when you had DSL because if so maybe your address is outside the range of the modem/router address?

If your NIC worked for your DSL it will work for the cable. It is definitely something other than the driver.

Jake Chaffee
"There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who can read binary and those who can't."

Thank you very much for responding.

His comcast set up is this. THe cable comes out of the wall to the cable modem. The network cable then comes out of the modem to the nic card. I've rebooted his cable modem several times according to the comcast instructions (cutting the power for at least 30 seconds) then booting up my pc. My PC is set to receive and IP address. Ipconfig /renew just hangs because it cant get an IP.) Im stuck

With the limited connectivity can you ping the modem and just not get to the internet? or can you not ping the modem either?

Maybe try a new network cable and try reinstalling the network driver?

Jake Chaffee
"There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who can read binary and those who can't."

I can PING 127.0.0.1 .. so that means my nic and IP is working.

The cable works fine when I plug my firends computer up.

Maybe try ipconfig /flushdns. I dont think it would help with why you're not pulling an IP address though. NIC works fine, cable works fine, modem works fine (for your friend).

But you still cant get IP address?

You're not set to static ip? Can your computer see the modem? Can you ping it when plugged to it?

Jake Chaffee

It must be SOMEthing I have to do with this comcast cable modem.

I took my pc to church yesterday and connection to the hi-speed there (not comcast). Got a connection right way. No problem.

Comcast uses static addresses. Get the ipconfig \all info off your buddies computer then manually put that info into your computer and you should be off and running.

IP Address: xx.xx.xx.xx , 1 (IP)
Subnet Mask: xx.xx.xx.xx
Default Gateway Address: xx.xx.xx.xx
DNS 1: xx.xx.xx.xx
DNS 2: xx.xx.xx.xx

THANKS!!! I will try that TODAY!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back