Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Internet Connection

Status
Not open for further replies.

cmz21

Programmer
May 5, 2005
US
Hello,
I am very new to linux -
I have just installed Yoper on a laptop that I have. I am not sure how to get it to connect to the internet. I previously had windows xp running on the machine and did not have any trouble to connecting. I have a DSL modem connected to the laptop. Is there a configuration program that I have to use to get this working?

Any thoughts would be great.

Do some research on Point-to-Point Protocol (ppp for short).
I've seen the name Yoper before but I can't remember if it's a standalone distro or if it's based on another one..

I don't know if it's your answer, as I have a plain cable modem, but I think that's it.

-Haben sie fosforos?
-No tiengo caballero, but I have un briquet.

Thank you for the info.....I will try this when I can amd let you know how I make out.

If you're using xDSL, you will need PPPoE. Get the Roaring Penguin PPPoE client (rp-pppoe) package.

--== Anything can go wrong. It's just a matter of how far wrong it will go till people think its right. ==--

Most DSL lines use PPPoE (ppp over ethernet), and so Roaring Penguin is hte way to go... Failing that, if you have a DSL router laying arround or will need to add more computers in the near future, the output of the router is a plain old ethernet connection. I couldn't get Roaring Penguin to work with my DSL, and my provider didn't have support for linux users -- my solution was a router...

[plug=shameless]
[/plug]

I was able to get it working using pppoe.

I am away from that machine right now, but when I am there I will post some details as to what I did.

thanks for all your input.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back