Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

internet connection wizard freezes

Status
Not open for further replies.

sarahmc22

Programmer
Nov 30, 2000
US
Hi,

I'm new to win2000 Pro, and I have a strange problem. The other day I booted up and I noticed my dial-up connection was gone. I tried to make a new one by going to Network and Dial-up connections, and clicking Make New Connection. I choose the dial up connection option in the Network Connection Wizard, which then takes me to the Internet Connection Wizard. I choose Dial up to the Internet. At this point, the program tries to go to the next screen, but freezes, constantly asking me if I'm "sure (I) want to exit the wizard".

Any idea what's going on? Maybe some files in the Internet Connection Wizard got deleted somehow? How could I try reinstalling just the Internet Connection Wizard???

Thanks for any help,

S

I ran a Norton Virus Utility, and there are no viruses (presumably) responsible for this behavior.

??

anyone know if there is some way to reinstall just the internet connection wizard???

At the command prompt (Start>Run) type sfc /scanonce then reboot. It starts on the next boot.
This will check your system files to ensure they are ok. You will need your CD handy and this will take about 30 min.
Once that is doens try the wizard again. If it still does not work let us know. Please let us (Tek-tips members) know if the solutions we provide are helpful to you. Not only do they help you but they may help others.

James Collins
Computer Hardware Engineer
A+, MCP

email: butchrecon@skyenet.net

James,

Thanks for your help. I ran sfc, was prompted for the win2000 CD for some DLLs. Unfortunately, this didn't do the trick. Am I at the point where I should just reinstall Windows 2000? *shudder*

Sarah

I'm afraid I have to reinstall windows2000 all over again. nothing seems to work, and this isn't a known bug. Thanks for your help James.

S

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back