Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Internet connection without router

Status
Not open for further replies.

keiusa

Technical User
Nov 12, 2005
US
I tried to connect the Win2003 directly to dsl router without using another router. I was succesful connecting the internet using Linksys router before. I think setup remote access would be easier if I connect the internet without router.

service: Verizon DSL
method: PPPoE
using 2 NIC.
After I went thru "connect to the internet", I could go to companyweb but no internet. Any hint will be appreciated.

Have you verified that your IP settings are correct on the nic that is connected to the DSL router?

Good questions. Actually I am not sure.
The settings of nic
ip: 192.168.1.110
gateway: 192.168.1.1
subnet: 255.255.255.0

Is there anything else I should set up?

I dont know how to find the ip settings of the DSL router. Where should I look at to find this information?

You need to setup and install Routing and Remote Access for this to work...Basically you're using a Windows server as a router. The easier and more secure way to do this is to spend the extra $50 on a relativly cheap router from Linksys or Netgear and do the sharing of your connection through that. Besides, this setup will give you protection from the Internet via NAT.

Many thanks.
When I use external router, do I disable the firewall of the server and using Linksys? Or use both?
How about DHCP?
Sorry to ask too many basic questions.

Don't you already have a router, the dsl? Is the company web on the same subnet? Or is it outside?
I'm with trusted, you need to find out the ip's of the dsl router. See if you can open a browser window, type in the gateway ip. Sometimes that will take you into the router.
You also say that you have two nics(assuming on the server). Can you go to a dos window on the server and run the command ipconfig /all and see what ips come up.

Thanks geeve,
I have Linksys router. the address is 192.168.1.1

I got the following information from the ipconfig. But I can not get connected to the internet. The DSL router and Linksys router are working fine to me.

E:\Documents and Settings\Administrator>ipconfig/all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : server1
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . : KEIUSA.local
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : Yes
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : Yes
DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : KEIUSA.local

Ethernet adapter Network Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek RTL8169 Gigabit Ethernet Adapter
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-0E-2E-69-54-BC
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.110
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.106
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Disabled

Ethernet adapter Server Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcom NetXtreme Gigabit Ethernet
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-12-3F-2A-03-80
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.106
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :
Primary WINS Server . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.106

geeve,
Also the following is the information I got from Linksys status report.

Network Access : PPPoE
WAN IP Address: 70.21.206.187
Subnet Mask: 255.0.0.0
Default Gateway: 10.5.12.1
DNS: 71.250.0.12

I'm looking at the following:
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.110
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1

do you have a DNS server running on 192.168.1.106?
can you ping the ip address?
can you ping your DNS server by it's FQDN (i.e. DNS1.keiusa.loc) and does it resolve back to 192.168.1.106?
can you ping
If the answer is yes to all but the last one, you need to set up forwarding on your DNS server to your ISP's dns server.

A+/MCP/MCSE/MCDBA

Hello, seapray0,
I can pin 192.168.1.106, 192.168.1.110
but I can not ping 192.168.1.1 (timeout)
I did not try FQDN yet --- I will try tomorrow at the office. I think it will.
I can not ping for sure.

Now, how can I set up orwarding my DNS server to ISP's DNS server? Please advise.

I think part of the problem like you suspect is DNS forwarding...Right-click on the DNS server, go to properties, second tab over is Fowarding. Add at least 2 different DNS servers (you can use your ISP's or even go to do a lookup of a company such as Dell.com and see what DNS servers they have listed). Basically you're using your own internal DNS server and since it doesn't have any info about google.com for instance, it fails.

I have 3 IP address for DNS forwarding. But somehow, I can not ping 192.168.1.1 or any of the IP address outside the LAN. Please help~~~!

Have you verified the the patch cables are good? On the linksys are the desired ports open for use from the LAN? Have you tried hitting the reset on the linksys I have seen them lockup? When you pinged the FQDN of your DNS server as Seaspray suggested and if you have did it work?

Can you access the linksys routers web interface from another system?

Trusted, please note the following response and let me have more guidance.

1. The patch cable is OK.
2. The port of the router and NIC showed green lights.
3. I resetted the router couple times.
4. I pinged the FQDN and got the address to the server 192.168.1.106. it was OK.

I am using my notebook directly connected to the linksys router to write this article. Yes.

Is this correct or is it a miss print??

WAN IP Address: 70.21.206.187
Subnet Mask: 255.0.0.0
Default Gateway: 10.5.12.1

If it is I do not see how you can be hitting the internet at all. The first octet should be the same for both the WAN IP anf Default Gateway.

Can you post the IP settings for your laptop here please? Have you tried unplugging the cable from one of the NICs on the server?

Hello, Trusted. Many thanks for your help so far.
Yes, the settings are correct.
By the way, I checked the Microsoft support website and found an KB about this problems. So I temporary disabled the RRAS, then I got internet connection back.

But I still have problems..
I can ping the router (192.168.1.1) from my notebook but not from my server (request time out). I dont understand this part. The problems might still there. Any suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back