Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

internet connection stopping 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

lmwtech

Technical User
Jan 18, 2004
US
I am trying to get a dsl connection running at a client but have run into some troubles. As soon as I plug the dsl modem into a switch the internet connection only last for about 5 minutes. I'm using a zoom X5 model 5654 modem/gateway/router with 4 port switch, going into a Linksys 24 port switch. The computers on the network all have static 192.168.x.x ip's due to a previuos setup. These are wanting to be kept by the customer because of software remote support reasons. The network computers dns is 151.x.x.x both primary and secondary with slight different between the two. The dns the isp gave me for modem is totally different and I wonder if this could be my problem. The working for 5 minutes is what throws me for a loop. Any suggestions.
lmwtech

By the way the isp dns's are 66.51.x.x address's.
lmwtech

Can I have one set of dns numbers on the wan side of the modem\router and a totally different set on the lan side of the router? Thats really what I'm wondering now.
lmwtech

If u tell a client to make he's dns request to a dns-server in china rather then the one next door is a "don't care situation" for the clientstation... that is, as long as the packets find their way out (and back) through the standard gateway, which should be configured on your ZoomX5 inside, as well as the outside ISP-provided IP.
The DNS config's of the clients will not bring down a InternetLink on the DSL side of your zoom-device...
One problem U can have is if the lan is proxy-configured and your org has a dns of its own (prim or secondary)it isn't a good idea to use external dns...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back