Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

internet connection sharing

Status
Not open for further replies.

jsevilla

Technical User
Sep 4, 2003
PH
is it possible to share an internet connection (cable) without using a cable/dsl router and just use a linksys 8port switch and let winxp pro's ics do the configuration?

No you carn't just plug your cable and your machines in to a switch ...

you can use windows internet sharing..

But a router is by far the better option

I am asuming that your cable connection is though a network card in your computer

you will need to add a new network card to that machine and link that card to your second machine with an x cable

then run Internet Sharing wiz

remember which NIC is Which

If all else fails, You can always try Kicking the daylights out of it, and getting a faster and better system... lol

If you don't want to use a router use a 4 port hub and ICS

if it weren't for flashbacks I'd have no memory at all

I think the answer legend and roban above were giving is: Yes it can be done. A hardware router would be preferred, but it can be done with the equipment you listed.

I strongly urge you to look at the Step-by-Step instructions found in the following links, and remember the third link to Troubleshooting:

Steve Winograd's XP ICS Step-by-Step

Windows Help Net's XP ICS Step-by-Step Guide

MS KB Troubleshooter for XP ICS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back