Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Internet Connection Sharing XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

cleith

Programmer
Sep 27, 2002
Hi,

Does anyone know why 'Internet Connection Sharing' is not available on an existing Network Connection and all attempts to 'Add New Connection' winds up with the original. I want the use this XP comp in a home to share the cable modem. This is normally a no-brainer but something must be amiss in the home-comp.

ps: i didn't set it up

Thanks,

Charles

You would not set up ICS on a stand-alone machine as a default setting.

Run the Network Wizard, say your are on a local area connection, and you will soon see the option to share your connection to the internet with others.

How does cable modem connect to machine? If its ethernet, you do have 2 NICs installed in machine?

Only one nic. Do I need two? Now the comp gets its IP from the cable modem. There is another comp on the lan/hub but not the same subnet, therefore I guess I do not have a local area connection?

Charles

You need two, 1 will have an IP from your modem. The other will be set by ICS to 192.168.0.1. Your second PC when connected with a cross-over cable or hub or switch should be pointed at the ICS PC for its IP and information.

Or buy a router to do all this. It is a far better solution and you will not need to spend $ on a second NIC.

Thanks for the help. I agree, the routher is the way to go. I have one at the office and home. Am trying to help a friend at home.

Charles

No good deed goes unpunished.

Thanks for the help.

The cable co. can provide 2 IP's on the same line. This does allow both comps to get access the internet but they can't see each other. Is that because the addresses are like:

I think this means they are not on the same subnet. Is it possible for them to see each other to share a printer with this type of configuration? I know a router would be the best solution but this has been a good lesson from you guys and I thought I would check on any other possibilities. Maybe NETBUI?

Thanks again,

Charles

Netbui is not going to allow the two external IPs to see each other.

Either buy a second NIC or a router. A second NIC is $9-15, a router $16-40.

Thanks for all the info. She will buy a router this afternoon.

Charles

You probably know this, but a reminder:

1. The router will be set to a fixed IP, use 1 of the two IPs. DHCP should be enabled.

2. The client workstations should be set to "Obtain an IP address automaticly." Do not use the static IP assignments.

The router is the best solution for her.

Best.

I should be so lucky! I sent here to local Office Depot to get DLink (there was one there this morning) as opposed to MS or Siemens, the other offerings at our local OD. Out of DLink so she buys MS. Oh boy, software won't install. Insists there is a firewall. It is not enabled on the XP machine. What's up with all the cable switching. Linksys and DLink are real no brainers. Anyway told her take it back. Typical MS. I have much luck with LinkSys and now DLink in small office environs.

Again, Thanks for all your insight.

Charles

The Road Goes on Forever and the Party Never Ends, 'Robert Earl Keene'

Hi All FYI

In some situations, albeit older networks, NETBUI is still a viable solution to connect comps in the same lan. I relied on NB before the internet made TCP/IP the standard.

Only with XP has MS tried to hide NB. I still find it works in conjunction with TCP/IP. All protocols will attempt to do the job.

Again, your recommendation of the router was the best solution.

Cheers,

Charles

cleith,

I have no problem with netbui, it just does not route. Therefore trying to connect two publc IP addresses, on different subnets no less, makes using Netbui a non-starter to solve the problem.

Furthermore, if you are going to use Netbui under XP, the strong consensus is that the protocol stack offered with the XP distribution is damaged. The one from the Win2k distribution should be used. See this link for a good practical article on installing and using Netbui under Windows XP and a source for the Win2k Netbui protocol:
Furthermore, I see no network situation that Netbui, or IPX/SPX for that matter, handles that Netbios over TCP/IP cannot handle. I agree that handling LMHOSTS, WINS and HOST file to handle issues such as subnetting is not the most intuitive thing in the world at times, but throwing unnecessary protocols on a LAN does not strike me as a solution but a band-aid.

Finally, the issue will become moot as we move towards all IP networks. What I would like to see is a small and very fast caching DNS network appliance that all LAN clients would point to for resolving local private addresses and for fast forward resolution of external IPs. The intermediate step towards that is Netbios over TCP/IP and Netbui is a step too far in the past to consider on anything but a small LAN, and is suspect even then.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back