Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Internet connection Sharing problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

slice16

Technical User
Sep 14, 2003
GB
My network is runnin 3 computers, the DC is in port one of a HUB. I have a USB modem connected as my internet connection, i have set up ICS on this connection. I can connect to the internet from the server, but i cant from any of the other systems on the network, can some one please help?

What are the others using for Gateway addresses? The server? Do you have IP forwarding turned on on the server NIC?

bob

I know what I know and that's all I know. What I don't know I'll find out.

The gateways are set to automatic, i have also tried setting them to the server IP (10.10.1.1) as well as trying the main internets default gateway...

IT doesnt work :(

How do i turn on the Ip forwarding on the server NIC?

Are you using W2K? If so, you will have to go in and set the NIC properties, TCP/IP, routing tab, to allow IP Forwarding. Then, also under the NIC properties, allow the server to share/use the Internet Connection.

Try that.

bob

I know what I know and that's all I know. What I don't know I'll find out.

im using windows 2000 adavnced server... I cant find a routing tab any where :(

On a client, give us the results of a pathping. Also, post results of ipconfig /all. This should let us know where the internet dies off. Are you using DHCP or fixed? What OS are the clients using? (Pathping won't work on anything before W2K.)

Glen A. Johnson
"Fall seven times, stand up eight."
Proverb

Want to get great answers to your Tek-Tips questions? Have a look at FAQ219-2884

The problem is, when ever i enable internet connection sharing, none of my client systems can locate the domain :( any idea why?

WIll i need to use NAT? Because my server is runnin as a DC with DHCP and DNS setup...

Yes, you are right use RAS/NAT. ICS will mess up your current config if you enable it. Click the link of bcastner above to find out why..

:), cheers, so i will have to set up NAT and disable ICS? Is that why my domain doesnt work when i put on the ICS?

cheers :), right i have set up NAT, however none of my client systems connect to the net, do i have to set the default gateway to my server? or the ip address opf the NAT device thing in network routing?

Gateway should be set to the Server Network card.

there ive fixed the problem by installin a proxy :) cheers for the help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back