Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Internet connection quits on Windows 98 using ethernet adapter?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SamGoofus

Technical User
Sep 5, 2007
Hi all, first post here.
I have recently hooked three computers to Verizon Fios. They are not networked together. The two WinXP machines are working fine but the the Win98 has an odd recurring problem. It is attached to the Verizon router via 100' of ethernet cable and a USB adapter. When the machine boots up the connection is perfect and relatively fast. After about an hours use with either IE or Firefox, the connection disappears completely and a ping gets no results. Restart the machine and the connection is good for about another hour.
I have tried numerous combinations of settings, upgrades, service packs, and all what else with the very same results.
The RAM is only 62mb with a 533Celeron brain. Any thoughts? Thanks, Sam

For $5 used off ebay you could put a real NIC in the machine.
You are depending on USB power to drive the signal down the line.
What kind of cable?

Ed Fair
Give the wrong symptoms, get the wrong solutions.

Thanks, edfair, $5 I can afford!

The cable is a CAT5E RJ-45 generic 100' running from LAN connection on the router to adapter in USB1 outlet on the computer. What I don't understand is why the connection is fine after boot-up or restart, then cuts out completely after a random period of time. It almost seems if I keep the browser(s) busy, the machine stays logged on indefinitely.

I tried a wireless adapter originally but the signal would fade in an out, that's why the ethernet cable.

I agree with Ed Fair that is a mighty long cable for a USB adapter to run. You can go to GearXs and buy one with drivers, free shipping, for less than $7

xit

I don't think it's the Ethernet cable that's the problem. Unless there is a special adaptor fitted at the router which the poster hasn't told us about, Ethernet carries no power and should be good for at least three times that length. The USB cable length, however, is much more critical, so that might be an issue perhaps...

Ed's suggestion re the NIC should solve the problem.

ROGER - G0AOZ.

Thanks, to clarify my setup:

The 100 foot CAT5 cable plugs directly into a LAN outlet in the router. I snaked it into the basement to the other end of the house where it plugs directly into the adapter. Here is an image of the type of adapter:
adapter.jpg

I am more than willing to concede the quality of this product is suspect, but the price was right! Anyway, it is directly attached to a USB1 outlet on the computer.

The 8 year-old machine itself belongs to a short-tempered Luddite housemate who expected broadband to make his world wonderful. I have to be diplomatic, and disassembling this delicate antique is last on my list. I have RAM that should do it some good, plus a few hard drives to add to the mix as he has no way to back up, but for now I was hoping for a tweak or two to keep him happy!

Thanks again to all, if there is no software fix, I will follow your leads!

I'll parrot what has already been said.

SQUAWK... BUY A REAL NETWORK CARD! SQUAWK... BUY A REAL NETWORK CARD!

Those USB network adapters are crap. Stop wasting your own time.

Matt

Please always take the time to backup important data and verify that backup, before making any changes suggested.

Thanks all!
I shall follow your leads!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back