Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Internet connection problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

carbonman

IS-IT--Management
Mar 27, 2001
GB
I have a machine that is connected to my isp via a router and an ISDN line.
The problem is this, if I go to internet explorer, I get the message this page cannot be displayed.
If I shut down ie and open it back up again, I can get on to the internet fine.
Same applies if I ping an external ip address, then log on to internet explorer it it fine.
I have put the registry timeout key in and set it to 10 mins and this had not effect at all.
I can't think of anything else to try, can you?..............

I would first call your isp and make sure the line dosen't have intermittent problems.

~brye

No, afraid thats not the problem, there is definitely no problems with the isp or the phone line.
Any thing else?

Who is providing your line and what kind of router do you have?

Its a BT line, and a nautica router. But these are not the problem, as you can ping external addresses any time you like. Its just IE won't connect first time round, it will 2nd time, everytime, its no partcular time of day or anything like that, so I am sure its a software problem.

Well, if your sure the line is tip top, and you got solid lights on the router, I suggest trying a different browser. An annoying step, but it's a step towards solving the problem.

Mat

One other thing you could try is to go to Windows Update and see if there is an update for your ie. What version are you running? Home: SRFlanigan@home.com
Work: Steve@regionalinternetmedia.com

DILBERT FOR PRESIDENT!

What are your up settings, do you dhcp from the router? If you do, you need to check your dns settings, to make sure you are getting the right addresses to do name resolution. Also, what are your settings in IE. The most common are to automatically detect the settings. Is this what you have?

~brye

Sounds like a routing issue. First time Windoze tries to get out, the default route is not there. But the attempt to get out creates the route. The second time. the route is present, so it works.

Check your default route in your IP config.

Bill.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back