Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Internet Connection Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

metope

MIS
Sep 16, 2002
US
I can't connect to the Internet from the server that runs Windows 2000 Advanced Server and is the domain controller, or the Win2k Pro machines on the domain. The Windows 98 machines are able to access the Internet with no problems. I use a router to connect to the Internet, the server is behind the router and the router handles the DHCP.

Can anyone help me, please?

Francisco

Thank you.

Could you paste a copy of the results of the IPCONFIG /ALL command here?

I need your Router's internal IP and DNS info also.

Let's see what we can do :)

Can you ping the router from your W2k clients?
Can you ping the DNS servers from your W2k clients?

I have a similar problem but the Server will connect to the internet via the router on 192.168.20.1.

According the the ipconfig/all, the W2K workstations are receiving the DHCP settings including the default gateway from the server but IE5 won't connect.

There's a line in the /all bit that says IP Routing Enabled NO. Is this part of the problem do you think?

DNS Server address is 192.168.20.2 (the server address).

I solved the problem last night thanks to something you said. I was doing the ipconfig /all in one of the win2k machine so that I could post it here, when I thought about doing it on one of the win98 machines because the win98s were able to access the Internet as opposed to the Win2ks that were unable. I realized what was the difference between them when I compared the output of ipconfig /all from the two machines. The win98 had as a DNS server 192.168.254.254 which is the internal IP address for the router and the win2k had 192.168.254.253 which is the internal for the server/domain controller. The reason for this discrepancy was that when I was setting up the domain on the win2k computers I had to setup the server/domain controller as the DNS server. I did this because I was having a problem with the win2k machines. They were not joining the domain, and I would get a message that the domain was not available. I had to setup the address for the primary DNS server pointing to the domain controller so that they would be able to join the domain. I didn't have such problem with the win98 so I didn't need to put in anything for the DNS server since the DHCP in the router would take care of that. The thing is that the DNS server in the Windows 2000 Advanced Server machine is not setup properly so that the win2k machines would ask the server to resolve a non-local address but it wouldn't be able to do it since it didn't know what to do with any of the non-local addresses. That is why I wasn't able to go online with the win2k machines. They couldn't resolve the address into IPs because the server was unable to redirected their request to the router who would be able to point the Win2k machines to the right DNS server. My temporary solution to the problem has been to set up the primary dns server as the router, i.e. 192.168.254.254. Though I will setup the DNS server when I have time to figure out how to do it so that it forwards the request for non-local domain names resolutions to the router.

Thanks alot for you help!!!

Francisco

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back