Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

internet connection problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

baha

Programmer
Apr 16, 2002
US
Hi,

I have a problem with my Internet connection, before it was working fine, but lately i cannot open web pages at all. I can see that i have connection as a litlle icon says connected at 28.00, and i can use MSN massenger, but i can not open any web sites. Everything started after i shuted down the pc without closing Internet connection. Maybe smth changed there.

I did "ipconfig \all" as it was recomended by help, and here what i got:

Primary DNS Suffix .............:
Node Type .......................: Unknown
IP Routing Enabled ............: No
WINS Proxy Enabled...............: No

PPP adapter inter:

Connection-spesific DNS suffix .....:
NetBios over TCPIP ......: Diabled

I got my ip adress as well, but i did not get DNS, as in help file they said i need it to check my connection, and i had to ping it.

What could be the problem, if you need more info i will try to get it, just tell me how to do it.

Thanks.

You need the address of at least one DNS server on your ISP's network. Without any DNS settings your browser won't be able to resolve any host names to IP addresses.

Chris.
Chris Andrew, CCNA
chris@iproute.co.uk

Can you please explain how to get that DNS setting.

Thanks

Contact the ISP and ask them for the primary and secondary DNS Numbers. They should give those to you without any hesitation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back