Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Internet connection on domain

Status
Not open for further replies.

beernut

Technical User
May 12, 2003
US
I'm setting up a new domain at our company. Interconnectivity between the dc and users works, but I'm having problems with internet setup. The setup is:

router
|
dc
|
users

For a while I had an internet connection from the dc but now thats gone, too. I have the gateway pointing to the lan-side ip of the router. I can't ping the router either with the ip or dns. Any suggestions would be appreciated

I have my Windows 2000 server set so that its gateway and DNS are its own IP address. Then I use the DHCP server to provide the default gateway and DNS outside for internet access through the router.

i've reestablished the internet connection from the dc, but still can't from the users. i'm using 192.168.1.X addressing.
also, is it preferred to have user pc's inside the lan to have dhcp acquired dynamically, or have each one static?

When you do a tracert from a user that can't access the internet, what do you get. Can you use the server to access the internet for the users?

Glen A. Johnson
Johnson Computer Consulting
"The best fire does not flare up the soonest."
George Eliot (1819-1880); Englist novelist.

Want to get great answers to your Tek-Tips questions? Have a look at FAQ219-2884

tracert says destination unreachable.

is enabling internet connection sharing (ICS) necessary or should I use special proxy server software for this?

I would try ics first. Good luck.

Glen A. Johnson
Johnson Computer Consulting
"The best fire does not flare up the soonest."
George Eliot (1819-1880); Englist novelist.

Want to get great answers to your Tek-Tips questions? Have a look at FAQ219-2884

I discovered what the problem was. NAT was not configured properly.

Thanks.

Our site uses XP Workstations and works like this. In the local area connection on the workstation in TCP/IP the default gateway points to the IP address of the Router. The 2000 Server is setup to use forwarders to point to the ISP Servers. Any call for the internet from a workstation will use the fowarders on the server to create an internet connection to the ISP Web Servers. The only thing you need to find out is the IP address of you ISP Server.

Ray

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back