Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

internet connection not working

Status
Not open for further replies.

shaferbruce

Technical User
Nov 16, 2008
US

ok to start things off i have an HP desktop and windows xp. now i have already reinstalled windows for other reasons. problem i am haveing is with the internet not connecting. i ave talked to netins over the phone and they have sent somone to my house also and their conclusion was to go buy a nw network card. i said whatever its not that. so i took it to my friends house whick he has cable internet and i have DSL if that matters and it connected to the internet as soon as we turned the pc on. so once again afte a week of trouble shooting and searching for a fix online with my moto q which is what i am n right ow i have not came upwith anything that has worked yet......PLEASE HELP ME

You state you have DSL, is it behind a router and does the DSL require a user ID and PWD? Have you traied connecting someone elses PC as well?

no my dsl doesnt require a user name and password and yes the guy that came over to try to fix it that works for the internet provider got his laptop to connect right off the bat..... i talked to netins over the phone and they tried the command ipconfig ...all that and nothing but the same computer connects to a cable modem at a friends house.... my mom works for a phone company and is gong to swap out my modem andsee if it helps some time this week.....

the problem is my pc will not grab a new ip address its stuck with 169. blah blah ..... i just dont see why it wont work at my house but it will at my buddies and yet that guy got is laptop to connect at my house....

It can be a negotiation issue.Your network card and the DSL modem might not be able to decide how fast they can talk to each other. It can also be a drivers issue.
Try rolling back the driver to the original driver if you updated the driver or allowed windows update to update the driver.
To change the negotiation speed open Network Connections in control panel, Right click on the local area connection and select properties.
On the upper right of the General tab select Configure.
On the Advanced tab select the entry for duplexing (also can be listed as Media Type or Connection type). If it is set to auto negotiate select (10 Base T or 10 half duplex) and select OK and close the properties page. Look at the local area connection and see if it connects (double click the Local area connection and go to the Support tab see if it gets an IP address).
If it does then the dsl modem and your network card have a negotiation issue.

When you do ipconfig what are the results? I also agree with tlc look at that as well. You could buy a new NIC and see what happens they inexpensive today.

tlc i did what you said and it did not get an ip address and still could not repair it..... ipconfig gives me

CONNECTION-SPECIFIC DNS SUFFIX...
AUTOCONFIGURATION IP ADDRESS.....169.254.XXX.XXX
subnet mask .....255.255.0.0

What is the inside LAN ip address of the modem? Just set a static IP to that. I'm surprised the genius tech didn't do that...just ask him what IP he set his laptop to, and if he tells you dhcp, then ask him what IP it gave him.

Burt

well all he told me when i asked what ip it gave him was that it would do me no good because they reset the ip addresses every 28 days for everyone they give service to.... so i hung up as soon as he said that knowing i was talkingtoomeone with less knowledge than me about all this and asked myself why couldnt he give me one and in 28 days ill call back for a diff one.... anyways im still trying.... i dont know much about this because i have never had a problem like this one but why would i need a new NIC card if it connects t the net no problem at a friend house just not mine?? thanks for they input guys and if yo got anymore ideas shot the at me and ill try them.... if i dont gt it resolved ill just tell them t come get their modem and discontinue serve thrw them...problem is they arethe only internet prvider for my town unless i get sat. net and i dont want the bill for that service ....

Did you try a different network cable? If the card works at a friends house, then I can't see that being the problem. If the tech came over with his laptop, did he use a different cable? -- Even if he used the same cable, some laptops have network cards that can adapt to a cross-over cable for example. (different pinout config). That would be in line with the negotiation issue discussion. Borrow your friend's net cable and try - its a cheap test.

Quite a few DSL suppliers do not use user name and password (PPPOE) but do filter connections by MAC address.
Contact your provider and ask them do they do their connection by MAC filtering and if so have, them allow the MAC address from your network card to have access.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back