Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Internet connection keeps dropping out in Win98

Status
Not open for further replies.

StressedTechie

Technical User
Jul 13, 2001
GB
I can use the internet fine but have resently connected to a poker site. It all seems to work okay but then the internet connection drops. I think its to do with idle times but I am not too sure where you adjust this in Win98. Could someone point me in the right direction.

Internet searches are prooving fruitless!

Thanks

Open my computer and right click, Dial up connections - properties...it should be in there...although I am going from memory so apologies if its incorrect...alternatively it could be under internet options, connections...properties

Start >> Run REGEDIT

go to
HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\RemoteAccess
look for below settings and change as listed

go to
HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Software\Microsoft\Windows\ CurrentVersion\Internet Settings

"EnableAutoDisconnect"
if 00 00 00 01
change to 00 00 00 00
if 0x00000001
change to 0x00000000

"DisconnectIdleTime"
make it 3b 00 00 00

If you're not the only user than look here for the same subkeys under this branch, minus the .DEFAULT key
HKEY_CURRENT_USER

TT4U

Notification:
These are just my thoughts....and should be carefully measured against other opinions.
Backup All Important Data/Docs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back