Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Internet connection for W2K on 98SE workgroup 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

tpugil

Technical User
Apr 14, 2002
US
I have a small business with 12 Win98SE boxes set up as a workgroup and have them connected to the internet via a DSL connection. We just purchased two Win2K boxes, hooked them up to the network, named the computers and joined them to the workgroup. When you click on Network Neighborhood (from the W2K machines) and Computers Near Me you only see the computer that you are using, not the rest of the network. When you drill down through Entire Network, you see the workgroup, but still only the one machine. The 98 machines can all see each other but not the 2000 machines. I also can't get to the Internet from either of the 2000 machines, but can from the 98 machines. All machines have Client for Microsoft Networks, File and Print Sharing and Internet Protocol(TCP/IP) installed. TCP/IP properties are set to obtain IP address automatically, DHCP is Enabled. I set up a similar setup on my test (home) network and it works just fine. I can't see any differences in the setup other than one works and one doesn't. Any help is appreciated.
tpugil

First off use the IPCONFIG /ALL command to check all the TCP/IP settings including subnet and default gateway.

Check to see if you can ping another PC on your network. Use PING 192.168.1.1 (replace 192.168.1.1 with a know IP Address of another PC).

Repost with the outcome.
New Zealand, a great place to live.
tokala@orcon.net.nz

I will get back with the TCP/IP settings next time I'm in that office(tomorrow morning). I did try pinging a known address on one of the 98 machines from a 2K machine and was unsuccessful.
Thanks,
tpugil

Check the link lights on your HUB and Network card (to see if they are flashing). If the ping doesn't work there is no connection taking place.

Still check the IPCONFIG /ALL
New Zealand, a great place to live.
tokala@orcon.net.nz

Hi tpugil
Are you using UTP with a Hub for your LAN or Coax cable?
If Coax, then the problem could also be in bad cabling.

Sorry I took so long to get back. The link lights were working. The W2k machines both said that they were connected at 100Mbps. I did an IPCONFIG /All and saw they weren't on the same network as the W98SE machines. I gave them a static IP address and pointed them to the gateway and DNS server and they work just fine. Oh yea I had to set the link speed for the NICs on the W2K machines to 10Mbps/Full duplex so that they could communicate with the gateway. Thanks for all the help.

tpugil

First of all if you are on workgroup is there anything resovling user names? Like a server? If not then you will have to add the user names of the win98 machines to the win2k PC's through Control Panel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back