Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

internet connection cuts off when using VPN...

Status
Not open for further replies.

hackproof

Programmer
Feb 29, 2004
PH
im just new in networking so could anyone help me with this problem. i have a windows 2000 server and windowsxp clients in our network and used the ISP's DNS servers as the forwarders for internet connection throuthout the network. our internet connection work fine that way but when we try VPN connection to another network in US, our internet connection cuts off. we cant browse the internet anymore, i tried to ping a particular site but it still doesnt work. could someone help me with this one...please!

What VPN client are you using ? This sounds as if the client is working correctly.
When you initiate the client it creates a "tunnel" into the target network. The "tunnel" can't be penetrated from the outside.Conversely,the tunnel can't be broached from the inside.
There is a oprion in some clients called "split-tunneling".
This will enable you to access outside the tunnel.

Rick Harris
SC Dept of Motor Vehicles
Network Operations

thanks for the reply...in not familiar with this but i just created a VPN connection in the WindowsXP network connection control panel. where can i find this split tunneling option?? i have read some books that i have to use the Router and Remote Access service in the server...im not really sure about this. could you help me??

On that VPN connection, go into Properties, then select the following:
Networking --> Internet Protocol --> Properties --> Advanced.
You'll see a check-box labelled:
Use default gateway on remote network.
Clear the check-mark in that box and life should be better. Why Microsoft decided that should be the default is beyond me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back