Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

internet conn.keep being disconn.

Status
Not open for further replies.

EmilJast

Technical User
Jan 18, 2007
US
I use 3 systems XP, WIN2Kpro, W98se from the three only XP keep giving me problems, sometimes I stay connected for extended times, but many times after connect for 15 min. I get disconnected. And no matter what I do I cannot get connected unless I reboot then again get connected for a short while then disconnect again.

Does anybody know what is causing this.
Thanks

Are all the PC plugged into the same hub/switch/router?

Just a thought, but I've seen this once before with XP. After a lot of head scratching, i figured out that it was IE that was corrupted. I installed firefox and the problem went away. This might not be your solution, but hey, it's worth a shot, right?

CCNA, CCDP, Net+, A+
Work Smarter, Not Harder....
This was supposed to be the future.....Where is my JetPack?!

hi

Since the problem is with connectivity. so reinstalling IE or other browser wont fix the issue.

Before troubleshooting we want to know what type of internet connection u have.

Only based on the connectivity type will proceed with the troubleshooting steps.

If you want to try some basic troubleshooting step check with DNS and DHCP services whether that is started and the startup type is suppose to be "Automatic"(start --> Run --> services.msc)

Lakshmi21, that's exactly what i thought when i was troubleshooting my issue. The only thing that lead me to even look at the browser was the fact that the connectivity lights on my DSL modem were exactly as they should be and my ISP's tech support people said that they were showing the connection was established. It was weird and it really freaked me out, but it definitley was a broswser issue. I just figured i'd share the info as it's a quick thing to try to prove or disprove the proble :)

CCNA, CCDP, Net+, A+

Thank you Mates
Let me elaborate on the problem.
1. the connection is two computers are on dsl router(XP&W98)
2. one computer is plugged in to the micro hub
3. one laptop has a wireless connection
4. The web browser is FireFox
5. Somewhere on the FAQ it is suggested to download and run winsockFix, which I did but no help.
6. DNS, DHCP is set to automatic, remember I am able to connect the XP comp., sometime I stay connected for hours but many times 5 to 15min then get disconnected.
Once disconnected does not matter what I do I am not able to repair connection only by rebooting.
This is only happening on the XP.
so that is the story.
Thanks

Hi
I went to MS website and one of the suggested solutions is:
"netsh Winsock reset" at the command prompt.
It seems to fix it , don't know for how long.
Thanks

Here's how I solved this issue on three rigs running XP and IE7 and just so users will know I had this issue before in IE6.

Open your Network Connections - right click on your Local Area Connection - select Properties - uncheck the box: Notify me when this connection has limited or no connectivity.

So for in ten days I haven't had a this annoying issue happen.

Hi
Well the fix did not last very long I am still experiencing disconnects.
There is something more serious going on in my opinion.

Ok, So here's what i'm gelaning from this, and please correct me if i am mistaken.

1. You have 2 PC's connected to a DSL router.
2. the PC running Windows 98 does NOT lose connectivity, ever (you're 100% certain about this).
3. The PC running XP intermittently drops the connection, forcing a reboot before connectivity is restored.
4. DHCP is being issued from the router, there are no IP conflicts on the network.
5. DNS is also automatically configured by the router.
6. One PC is wired, one is wireless.

Assuming all of the above is correct, here are some qusetions:

1. Is the wireless PC running XP?
2. When you refer to the "micro hub" do you mean the built in switch on your router or is there an additional piece of hardware?
3. What is the model of your router? (including firmware rev.)

Just trying to get a clearer picture of what your setup is :)

CCNA, CCDP, Net+, A+

If the XP computer is using wireless try changing the wireless channel number; especially if there are other wireless users in your vicinity (avoid the channels they are using)

Ok another thought. Go to Device manager, Network adapters and find your network card. Right click and go to properties, and go to the power management tab. Uncheck "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" .

Hi
corruptedlogic all your assumptions are correct and let me answer yours and other mates questions.

I have a wireless router(ZOOM) and a microhub.
Connected to the router are the Desktop(can boot W98se or W2Kpro)and a laptop running XP.(This one keep getting disconnected)
Connected to the microhub is a desktop running W98se.
A laptop with a wireless conn. running XP.

I need to check each puter to be sure if there is IP conflicts.

Iwas typing this same message on the laptop and by the time I was ready to send I am already disconnected.

That's it in a nutshell.
I will try mpnut suggestion.
Thanks

Hi everyone
Keep you up to date, I am testing it out.
I put this laptop now on a wirless connection and it connects fine. I will monitor it it will be disconnected like before.

In case everything works fine what can we deduce from this experience, one thing that I suspect is the NIC card overheating and becomes intermittent.
I wish there is an easy way to diagnose this type of problem.

What do you think.

Thanks

My wireless connection so far so good,keepmy fingers crossed.

EmilJast, glad you're making progress!So if i'm deducing correctly, you previously had a wireless connection and are now using a wired connection for the laptop? (your previous 2 posts seem to contradict each other). If it was originally wireless and is now wired, i'd say that you either have an issue with your wireless adapter / driver, are getting channel interference (from either other networks or wireless phones etc) or, and i have only seen this once, your wireless router is on the fritz.

If, however, i have the scenario backwards and you originally had a wired connection and are now successfully operating wirelessly (is that even a word?) then it could be something as simple as a flaky Cat5 cable or your microhub may have an issue (have you tried resetting it when you get disconnected or tried a different cable?).

Anyway, those are my pre-caffiene thoughts 7:34am on a Sunday morning :)

CCNA, CCDP, Net+, A+

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back