Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Internet based SIP Providers with good International calling rates? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeffthephoneguy

Programmer
Jul 20, 2009
US
Hey all,
I'm using Callcentric for international caqlling for my customers and myself, but having quality issues. Does any have a referrals for an internet based SIP Providers with good International calling rates and good quality?

Jeff
"the phone guy"
ACSS-SME
APSS-SME

Internet based is a big word.
Every sip provider is internet based :)
Your search is for sip providers that provide QOS on there lines.
That won't happen if you just pick a provider on a normal DSL or cable line.

BAZINGA!

I'm not insane, my mother had me tested!

just a good connection, and good quality

That means ideally you need one that does QoS, so Peter is correct :)

NTE-wave-logo-for-a4-header.jpg

And that is the key, a good connection.
It has nothing to do with a sip provider.
That you have quality issues is because there is NO control over the route it takes and how much others are using the same connection.

With QOS you will have a more dedicated connection then when you do not have QOS on the line.

The key point is that you will never ever be certain that speech issues occur or not without QOS.

BAZINGA!

OK boys...
No offense, but you know what I was asking for, but you choose to bust balls? You guys have way to much time on your hands. All I want is any suggestions/referrals as to companies that provide international calling a good rate and have good quality. Don't answer the post if you don't really have something to contribute.

Jeff
"the phone guy"
ACSS-SME
APSS-SME

I like Flowroute.com and have been using them for years now. They offer T.38 for faxing on most of their switches (make sure you confirm before you get the DID block as not all of them have T.38 support) and their rates are pretty good.

Now so far as quality is concerned. You have two options. 1) dedicate a circuit to the SIP trunks. For a while I had a 1.5Mbps DSL just for this. 2) Implement QoS on your router.

Kyle Holladay / IPOfficeHelp.com
ACSS & APSS SME Communications
MCP/MCTS Exchange 2007
Adtran ATSA, Aruba ACMA

"I have one speed, I have one gear...GO!!!" - Charlie Sheen

"Thinking is the hardest work there is, which is the probable reason why so few engage in it." - Henry Ford

Hey Kyle,
I use them for my US calling. They are great and have great quality, but they a very expensive on international calling. I have been using Callcentric for international calling , but they are 50/50 on calls going thru for more countries.

Jeff
"the phone guy"
ACSS-SME
APSS-SME

OK boys...
No offense, but you know what I was asking for, but you choose to bust balls? You guys have way to much time on your hands. All I want is any suggestions/referrals as to companies that provide international calling a good rate and have good quality. Don't answer the post if you don't really have something to contribute.
[/qote]

No offence taken.
But if you want good quality then you will not find any without proper lines :)

BAZINGA!

I wish there was an edit option :)

BAZINGA!

@tlpeter
I have a 24/10 meg circuit. the problem is the providers connection to the international carriers they use. I have great quality with Flowroute, but they charge $0.85 per minute for calls to Trinidad. Callcentric charges $0.11 per minute for the same call, but it takes me 10 minutes to get the call thru.

Jeff
"the phone guy"
ACSS-SME
APSS-SME

I guess it depends on where you are calling. At any rate, I've often found that the old adage holds true..."you get what you pay for".

Kyle Holladay / IPOfficeHelp.com
ACSS & APSS SME Communications
MCP/MCTS Exchange 2007
Adtran ATSA, Aruba ACMA

"I have one speed, I have one gear...GO!!!" - Charlie Sheen

"Thinking is the hardest work there is, which is the probable reason why so few engage in it." - Henry Ford

Indeed, when you pay peanuts you will get moneys.

QOS does not end at your provider.
Flowroute must have QOS on there lines and Callcentric probably not.

BAZINGA!

that will be an issue with their call routing or local breakouts.

Some SIP providers have breakouts in different countries and find their calls connect well and the quality is good. others simply route through the cheapest route to offer good call rates over quality.

This could apply to any carrier SIP or not SIP.

and as Kyle says > "you get what you pay for".

ACSS - SME
General Geek

CallUsOn.png

1832163.png

Another example of how I have too much time on my hands, it was a reference to tlpeters failure to quote something using the Tecumseh Group Markup Language (TGML) :)

NTE-wave-logo-for-a4-header.jpg

Jeff,

Do incomming calls still have alphabet soup on caller Id from callentric? I have toll free number with them, intermitent grabled caller Id drives Me nuts though!
Have You tried LES.net? works great!
I have also used callwithus.com, they are even cheaper than callentric for international.

Andre

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back